Flour and potato tortillas

Community Leader
Flour and potato tortillas
Wed, 07-25-2012 - 4:15pm

This is interesting.  Adding a small amount of instant potato flakes to your tortilla dough will make them stay fresh longer.  

In my bread baking adventures, I learned the value of dough enhancers and conditioners.  So I started looking for substitutes that I would not have to go to the health food store for.  Lecithen, from egg yolk, is recommended as a dough conditioner.  But so is a crushed vitamin c tablet.  And instant potato flakes.  

My sources said to make sure you buy potato flakes, not granules or buds.  I'm going to try this tonight. 

Flour and Potato Tortillas

2 cups flour (all purpose)
3/4 cup water
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup instant potato flakes

Mix into a soft dough and divide into 8 pieces.  Roll each piece into a ball then into a flat disk with a rolling pin or tortilla press.  Heat a dry heavy skillet or griddle to med high and brown each tortilla, 1-2 minutes per side, and move them to a clean towel, flipping one end over the tortillas to keep them warm.   

Photobucket

Pages

Community Leader
Wed, 07-25-2012 - 4:16pm
I'll put a little baking powder in mine to give them that twang.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-26-2012 - 7:28am
I make tortillas a lot here for ds's wraps, will have to try this recipe. I have a tortilla maker so easy to make, just put the ball in middle of maker and press down. Flattens and cooks them, so quick and easy! I do use my cast iron pan for when I want to make large tortillas but ds likes small ones to take in his lunch so use the maker more often.
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-26-2012 - 7:29am
Never heard of using baking powder? Did you try out the recipe yet, wondering how they came out.
Community Leader
Thu, 07-26-2012 - 11:54am

I've seen those tortilla makers.  I'd like to have a press, but I like my griddle for cooking them.  My brother and I are collaborating on a Mexican dinner this weekend, I thought about making the tortillas for our enchiladas.  

Photobucket
Community Leader
Thu, 07-26-2012 - 12:06pm
I ran out of time last night. I got into the Radio Memphis chatroom and guess who was in there? Michelle from Gluten-Free Cooking!
Photobucket
Community Leader
Thu, 07-26-2012 - 1:23pm

Most of the recipes I have use baking powder in the tortilla.  

Photobucket
Community Leader
Thu, 07-26-2012 - 5:07pm
I would like to know how they come out...
<
Community Leader
Thu, 07-26-2012 - 5:07pm
I want to know that too... how did they come out..
<
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-27-2012 - 8:29am
Mine is very old, think at least 15 years if not more. On it's last leg but not sure I want to buy another one. Ds has one more year of high school and then off to college so won't really be making tortillas that much when he's gone. Might just stick with my cast iron pan after my maker dies out.
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-08-2012 - 7:02pm

I like these, I've been looking for alternatives to the usual flour tortillas you see at the stores, these fit that role.

Whole grain tortillas.jpg
Whole Grain Soaked Tortillas

They may not look as pretty and perfect as store bought, but they are nice, soft, pliable, and nutritious and at a fraction of the cost! 

3 cups whole wheat or kamut flour
1 cup warm filtered water
1 Tbsp acid medium (kefir, whey, buttermilk, yogurt, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice)
1/4 cup coconut oil or butter, melted
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

Directions:
 1.Combine flour, water, melted coconut oil or butter and 1 Tbsp of acid medium. Cover and allow to soak at room temperature for 12-24 hours.
 2.After soaking, add baking powder and salt to soaked flour mixture, kneading in the flour until the dough is workable but not too stiff.
 3.Shape into 8 – 10 balls and let stand 10 more minutes.
 4.Roll to form a 10 inch circle or use a tortilla press.
 5.Bake on a lightly greased griddle till done (not browned). Toast for about 20-30 sec. per side.

Makes 8-10 tortillas.

Parties & Entertaining Frugal Living Apriil Commmunity Leader of the

Pages