Flour and potato tortillas

Community Leader
Flour and potato tortillas
Wed, 07-25-2012 - 4:15pm

This is interesting.  Adding a small amount of instant potato flakes to your tortilla dough will make them stay fresh longer.  

In my bread baking adventures, I learned the value of dough enhancers and conditioners.  So I started looking for substitutes that I would not have to go to the health food store for.  Lecithen, from egg yolk, is recommended as a dough conditioner.  But so is a crushed vitamin c tablet.  And instant potato flakes.  

My sources said to make sure you buy potato flakes, not granules or buds.  I'm going to try this tonight. 

Flour and Potato Tortillas

2 cups flour (all purpose)
3/4 cup water
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup instant potato flakes

Mix into a soft dough and divide into 8 pieces.  Roll each piece into a ball then into a flat disk with a rolling pin or tortilla press.  Heat a dry heavy skillet or griddle to med high and brown each tortilla, 1-2 minutes per side, and move them to a clean towel, flipping one end over the tortillas to keep them warm.   

Photobucket

Pages

Community Leader
Fri, 08-10-2012 - 4:42pm

Yep. But it still stuck.  I rolled out the dough on a cutting mat, and it stuck to the mat.  

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-10-2012 - 2:15pm

Cornmeal is perfect for  keeping dough from sticking to a pizza stone.  :smileyhappy:

Parties & Entertaining Frugal Living Apriil Commmunity Leader of the
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-10-2012 - 1:33pm

About your pizza, did you dust the bottom of the crust with cornmeal?  We rarely buy a Papa Murphy pizza one of those take and bakes.  I half unwrap it flip it over and peel off the baking tray it come in, dust the bottom with cornmeal, put the tray back on and flip it back over.  Makes for a crispy, crunchy crust.  Only once have I had a big spill out that I used to my advantage.  I ended up putting my favorite toppings in one spot and made sure I got that piece.

PattyK

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a306/yttap/siggys/
Community Leader
Wed, 08-08-2012 - 9:54pm
We gave up on the pizza stone and baked them on pans!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-08-2012 - 9:29pm

You're welcome  :smileyhappy:

What do you mean by 'we put 2 on pans to prevent that from happening again' :smileyhappy:

Community Leader
Wed, 08-08-2012 - 8:16pm

Forgot to mention--I have a Club Aluminum griddle that I make the tortillas on.  It was very warped when I inherited the Club Aluminum set.  My friend Don took it and hammered it back flat.  As well as some other large skillets I had.  

Photobucket
Community Leader
Wed, 08-08-2012 - 8:13pm

I'm glad you shared that, I've been loving making tortillas.  And milling my own flour.  My breads, flat or yeast, have a whole new character with the whole milled wheat berry.  I made pizza for a party last weekend, and everyone LOVED my whole wheat dough.  

I had a little disaster with getting the pizza onto the pizza stone, without a peel.  My dough was a little too sticky.  So 2 of the pizzas turned into calzones!  Still good, though.  And we put 2 on pans to prevent that from happening again.  

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-08-2012 - 7:02pm

I like these, I've been looking for alternatives to the usual flour tortillas you see at the stores, these fit that role.

Whole grain tortillas.jpg
Whole Grain Soaked Tortillas

They may not look as pretty and perfect as store bought, but they are nice, soft, pliable, and nutritious and at a fraction of the cost! 

3 cups whole wheat or kamut flour
1 cup warm filtered water
1 Tbsp acid medium (kefir, whey, buttermilk, yogurt, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice)
1/4 cup coconut oil or butter, melted
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

Directions:
 1.Combine flour, water, melted coconut oil or butter and 1 Tbsp of acid medium. Cover and allow to soak at room temperature for 12-24 hours.
 2.After soaking, add baking powder and salt to soaked flour mixture, kneading in the flour until the dough is workable but not too stiff.
 3.Shape into 8 – 10 balls and let stand 10 more minutes.
 4.Roll to form a 10 inch circle or use a tortilla press.
 5.Bake on a lightly greased griddle till done (not browned). Toast for about 20-30 sec. per side.

Makes 8-10 tortillas.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-27-2012 - 8:29am
Mine is very old, think at least 15 years if not more. On it's last leg but not sure I want to buy another one. Ds has one more year of high school and then off to college so won't really be making tortillas that much when he's gone. Might just stick with my cast iron pan after my maker dies out.
Community Leader
Thu, 07-26-2012 - 5:07pm
I want to know that too... how did they come out..
<

Pages