Food Trends for 2013

iVillage Member
Food Trends for 2013
Thu, 01-03-2013 - 1:37pm

from Hour-Detroit: Every year, food magazines and restaurant consultants publish lists of predictions about what diners and shoppers will be seeing more of at restaurants and grocery stores in the coming year. And while insight into the latest in haute couture can be gleaned from attending New York Fashion Week, there is not quite an equivalent event in the world of haute cuisine. Rather, foodies must get their fix from those in the know.

Our panel of experts offers, in their own words, views on the emerging food trends for 2013 and beyond:  http://www.hourdetroit.com/Hour-Detroit/January-2013/Whats-Popping/

What food trends did you notice in 2012? Do you like the way things are looking for 2013 or have any predictions of your own?

Community Leader
Thu, 01-03-2013 - 7:41pm
LOL, just read the article, I forgot about the kale. I tried it, don't like it. But on that same note, homemade chips are taking off like a rocket (no pun intended, that is the other name for kale).
Photobucket
Community Leader
Thu, 01-03-2013 - 7:34pm

In 2012?  ORGANIC.  And green tea, avocado (even cooked), and smaller portions. Whole grains were the trend of 2012; brown rice, collard greens, steel cut oats, almond milk, and whole wheat pasta.  Fruits as sides in fast food (YAY)!

For 2013, I think we are going to see a return of BLACKENED everything, from 1978. I think we will see a lot more exotic fruits.  And more non-dairy milk products.  The world of fish is changing, with the sustainability issue and mercury dangers, so I see more unusal fish coming to market. The influences that we hear and see daily are promoting more meatless meals and I think a lot more people in 2013 will be embracing meat free, with the cost of beef rising.  I see more bison entering the market.  And I HOPE I see the end of gestation cages.   

Photobucket