Fresh Veggies?

iVillage Member
Fresh Veggies?
Mon, 08-05-2013 - 3:27pm

I'm watching my neighbors house while they are out of town on vacation, which includes watering all her containers of veggies she has going.  They are all doing fantastic, lots of tomatoes, peppers, peas are getting close to being harvested.  She told me to pick whatever comes ripe while they are gone, so it's been fun to watch it all grow.  I'm determined to put in a vegetable garden next year, just need to get my husband to put in a raised bed for me. 

Are you growing any veggies this summer?

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-10-2013 - 12:18pm

I am growing herbs such Cilantro, Parsley, and basil.  They're are easy to maintain and taste delious.

Community Leader
In reply to: k_roni
Sun, 08-11-2013 - 12:32pm

Your basil can be stalled by keeping it trimmed.  You don't want it to bloom, it will bolt and become bitter if it does.  I like to trim the basil and share, in large quantities, LOL.  But try crushing a few basil leaves into your ice water or iced tea.  Spectacular!

Photobucket
Community Leader
Mon, 08-05-2013 - 8:50pm

How fun, instant vegetable garden without any of that pesky digging etc!

A couple of weeks ago we had a glut of zucchini, then green beans, now cucumbers. The tomatoes are ripening slowly and one by one so no Caprese salads yet...I'm afraid the basil will be done by the time the tomatoes are ready. Bell peppers are nowhere near ready...as you can tell I got my garden in really late this year. I'm in SoCal and our summer-like weather lasts into October; and some of these plants can produce into the new year. So its okay that it got a late start.

Community Leader
Mon, 08-05-2013 - 6:13pm

Yes  I or we have  gardens  and grow all kinds of things in it..

Right now the green and yellow beans are coming to the table

Also  the summer and zucchini is  plentiful too. I sure love garden time..
The green tomatoes are one thing I enjoy each year from the garden

I broil the green tomatoes   to save on the calories..

I hope you have  a great time enjoying  the veggies    fresh is best..

What a wonderful friend you have...

<