FROZEN in the South! Menu Ideas?

iVillage Member
FROZEN in the South! Menu Ideas?
Mon, 01-10-2011 - 9:22pm

Ok, so this is one of those RARE snows when it DID make sense to raid the grocery stores like crazy prior to!

Community Leader
Tue, 01-11-2011 - 1:17am

Second verse, over here in Mississippi!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-11-2011 - 9:55am
Ok, so I thought of the Chik & Dump -- one of my faves, actually, but wonder how I'd get that to hold up all day on the stove? Wouldn't there be a mush factor after a while? And my neighbor came over & utilized the perfect veggies for that last nite. Will hafta poke around - surely I've got some veggies suitable somewhere!

Chik w/stuffing mix sounds good too - will hafta check the pantry to see if there's any there.

Then for defrosting casseroles - or getting creative w/what I have!

This is gonna be around a while. Hubby just tried to get out of the street & slid back down. Then this BLAST is coming - Teens (tempwise) for the next few days. And Teen kids stuck in my house! :O

Boy & when the Atl Airport shuts down - it inconveniences the whole world!!!!
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-11-2011 - 12:18pm

Welcome to my world all winter long!

~Misty~

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-11-2011 - 12:39pm
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-11-2011 - 12:45pm
Took a peak around & while I do not have "stuffing" in the pantry amazingly - I DO have some of that Xmas Dressing frozen - have a good bit totally untouched! :D As well as leftover frozen GRAVY :9.......

Trying to decide if I just go w/Chik & "leftover" fresh Dressing & Gravy ---- OR break out some dumplings! :9

I just put a bunch of that fresh chik (shredded) INTO the crockpot ---- And I do have enough veggies here & there that I can use them, regardless.

Chick/Dumps OR Chick/Gravy/Dressing ------ Such hard decisions!
IF I had more fresh chik here in my bunker, i could do both! but didn't stock up that much in the grocery mobs prior to tht his ice storm.

Just glad to have power (& communications!) !!!!
Community Leader
Thu, 01-13-2011 - 3:36pm

We used to play a board game here, you go to your kitchen and find one thing that you have had forever and never use, then think of one thing that you use all the time and seem to always be out of.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-13-2011 - 6:05pm
That may require too much brain - which is feeling numb now.

Just got the word that the kids are indeed "out" of school all 5 days this week. UGH> I feel like I've had a bad flu or something & that we are just starting some real recovery. Actually got out of our neighborhood today - ate some mexican at our fave restaurant - and got to Target for both groceries & "stuff".

YET, there are still so many dangerous icy spots. Looks like we'll be back in on Tues!

Community Leader
Sat, 01-15-2011 - 7:46pm

We hit nearly 60 today, the snow isn't much more than a memory now.

Photobucket
Community Leader
Tue, 01-18-2011 - 9:52pm

Oh you southern ladies.....so used to getting out and about....

While here in the frozen north of Nebraska we are quite content to stay inside...and always find something to do.........lol

Since I found out that eating hot pepper is good for us I have been adding cayenne pepper to a lot of things. Including roast pork. I made my own rub..

The benefit of it is that while I am sitting there eating and my fingers are frozen I can start to warm up from the pepper...

Our favorite thing in the winter is and has been my whole married life home made chicken and noodle soup.

My mom would roll the noodles and cut them and toss them with flour so that when they boiled in the soup the broth would get just a little thick......MMM. Now my DMIL used to make hers in a bowl and it would be about like cake batter, she would cut them into the pan of boiling soup so that they were little nibs in the soup.....which way do I like them? Both.......sometimes I make my dough thicker and drop them my bigger globs into the soup like a dumpling....Oh my it sounds like we play with our soup don't it?

I always liked chili thinner and DH likes it thick.....LOL

But I can say this he has never complained about what I fixed he eats anything....which is good and bad.......good because I don't have to fuss.....but bad because I can't get a suggestion ........

Community Leader
Thu, 01-20-2011 - 11:47pm

My chicken noodle soup was a HUGE hit at my restaurants, and I made my own noodles.

Photobucket