Fruit canning 101 - do you can?

iVillage Member
Fruit canning 101 - do you can?
Mon, 05-09-2011 - 3:10pm

Does anyone here can fruit? Or any other seasonal produce for that matter? Here are some good tips to get you started:

Preserving fresh fruit and making jams and jellies at the height of the season will give you that wonderful summer taste all year long

When the price of berries is at it's cheapest I buy about 10 pounds and make jam to last us all year long. My kids love it on toast for breakfast, or on PB&J.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-10-2011 - 1:03pm
I don't, but I'm hoping to learn. We have an older couple who farm/garden our back yard and the wife knows how to can w/o using salt or minimal salt. So I want her to teach me so that I can learn that way, since both DH and I have heart problems in our medical history.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-10-2011 - 1:13pm
How fun! I love lessons like that that are passed down from older generations. I'm also a visual person, so seeing it first hand is really helpful instead of trying to read directions from a book.

You'll have to come and let me know about it. I've done a lot of fruit, and pickles, but never veggies like beans or tomatoes. I'm think I'm abnormally afraid of botulism!
Photobucket

Community Leader
Tue, 05-10-2011 - 3:43pm
I totally agree "home made is best made" I make plenty of everything for
the whole year plus some..
I myself do All kinds of things in can, freeze and make plenty of jams and jellies.
The homemade berry jams are heavenly..
Kellie, thanks for the info on the Beginner's Guide to Making Jam.

Last year I made queen anne's lacy jelly for the first time to which
came out wonderful.. Tasted like Honey..
<
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-10-2011 - 4:54pm
You're welcome! I thought the recipe was really interesting with the raspberry vinegar and pink peppercorns. I think I'm going to have to try that this year.
Photobucket

Community Leader
Tue, 05-10-2011 - 11:14pm

My daughter cans fruit and makes lots of jam.

Photobucket
Community Leader
Wed, 05-11-2011 - 2:41pm
Let me know how it turned out and how it tastes!

I am a scratch old fashion cook and baker..
Who still live a live like the little house in the country.
<