Fry pan recommendations?

iVillage Member
Fry pan recommendations?
Wed, 12-01-2010 - 12:55pm

Hey ladies, I could really use some help choosing a new go-to frying pan. I'll preface this with saying I'm no ace in the kitchen, so don't laugh at me!

The pan I have now is used daily to cook just about everything from pancakes to stir fry. It's this Calphalon. It's been a perfect go-to pan for us for all of our needs. It's also the most I've ever spent on a single pan, expecting it to last for a long time. I took good care of it, always washing it by hand, but everything seems to stick to it now and it looks as if "someone" has used a sharp utensil on it.

Anyhoo.... I'd like to buy a new pan and am wondering what to get. I've heard about the dangers of teflon and other non-stick coatings, so I think it might be good to avoid those, but I worry with my sub-par cooking skills that I really need the non-stick help.

I'm willing to spend a little more on it, if it will last a long time. Or maybe I should stick (no pun intended) with the cheaper teflon and just replace it on an annual basis? I hate to send so much waste to the landfill. :(

Any advice or suggestions? TIA!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-08-2010 - 4:19pm

Thank you both for the feedback!

Photobucket

Community Leader
Tue, 12-07-2010 - 11:25pm
emty_nstr wrote:

But if you have a good pan and cook in it the right way it should be non stick I have a couple of cast iron the black kind that nothing seems to stick to. But then I am not one to baby a pan...it has to stand up to me.

SOOOO true!

Photobucket
Community Leader
Tue, 12-07-2010 - 7:59pm

For eggs give me the non stick.....I have been using it for over 40 years and have had some the just plain wore off some pealed off and I am still kicking.....

But if you have a good pan and cook in it the right way it should be non stick I have a couple of cast iron the black kind that nothing seems to stick to. But then I am not one to baby a pan...it has to stand up to me.

I got a set of WearEver for a first wedding anniverary gift from my folks....And they lasted well I just tossed the 1qt out the other day.....the other pans gave it up a couple years ago.....

I have a set of Onieda now that I am careful with but I don't go over board with them either.....

For sure you can't get one for under $10 that is going to be any good... but sometimes without cooking in them first you have to look at them hold them and see if they talk to you.........lol......

Community Leader
Sat, 12-04-2010 - 2:21pm

I use my cast iron for EVERYTHING.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 12-02-2010 - 2:37pm
So you can cook anything in cast iron? I thought they were only for certain things....like corned beef hash. (Ha, okay I couldn't think of another example.) But seriously, would I need to have my regular fry pan for things like stir fry, then a cast iron for other types of cooking? I guess I don't really know what it's for.
Photobucket

Community Leader
Thu, 12-02-2010 - 12:59am

Home or commercial, I can't recommend anything better than cast iron.

Photobucket