Gail Simmons' Tips for a Perfect Pie Crust!

iVillage Member
Gail Simmons' Tips for a Perfect Pie Crust!
Tue, 11-08-2011 - 4:50pm

Though Food maven Gail Simmonsis a born-and-raised Canadian and didn't celebrate American Thanksgiving until she moved to the States 12 years ago, it's by far her favorite adopted holiday.

"When I first moved here," Gail said, "one of the first things that struck me about the holiday is that no matter who you are, or where you live, Thanksgiving is the day that you do anything you have to do to be with your family. Putting together friends, family and the kitchen makes it my perfect holiday."

Since she just wrapped up her second season as host of Top Chef: Just Desserts we figured Gail would be the perfect piecrust guru to help us get through this Thanksgiving. Her never-fail tip? Read on to find out...

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-10-2011 - 1:19pm
It's in the 2009 TOH Annual cookbook on page 113. It's called Foolproof Pie Shells. I also posted it under recipes on this board a while back.

~Misty~

Community Leader
Wed, 11-09-2011 - 9:51pm

Less is more with pastry.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-09-2011 - 5:25pm
Which ToH annual, I have lots of them but mostly older ones. We made pie crust in home ec wen I was in junior high, but I don't think I've made it since then....

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-09-2011 - 2:42pm
I posted a recipe for the pie crust that I make, I got it from a Taste of Home anual cook books. I've tried other crusts, and they wer okay, but this one is AWESOME and it turns out perfect every time. It's so easy that I prefer to make my own now, I used to buy them every time. And also, I can make it ahead of time, even a few days, and have it waiting and ready for me when I make a pie.

~Misty~