Happy 100th Birthday, Julia!

Community Leader
Happy 100th Birthday, Julia!
Wed, 08-15-2012 - 7:52pm

She made a good run of it!  I sure miss her.  Julia Child was my kitchen mentor.  I watched her show religiously.   

Photobucket
Community Leader
Fri, 08-17-2012 - 7:34pm

Yep, I still watch Bob painting the happy little trees with his 70's afro.  He's so much fun and every now and then, you can hear his bird in the background.  When I first moved into my newly built house, the telephone company guy came out to add jacks to my teenage kids' rooms.  I was sitting in the floor folding laundry, watching Bob Ross.  He sat down with me, and watched...confessing that he LOVED that show.  It was a funny moment that I'll never forget.  I was 36, this dude was obviously just off the football team at the local high school.  

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-17-2012 - 3:32pm
I once took a Bob Ross painting course! It's not true that anyone can paint like that, lol!
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-17-2012 - 2:58pm
Yeah, I knew that she was a spy. My dad had read a book or something about her many years ago, and I was shocked, but then after watching her on TV so much it fit...lol. Then I watched Julie and Julia. Not sure how accurate it was for her life, but it was a great movie.

Did you know that bob Ross is still on PBS? I ran across it the other day and had to watch. He's mesmerizing! Growing up I only had PBS and NBC to watch.

~Misty~

Community Leader
Thu, 08-16-2012 - 8:18pm

Did you know that she was a spy in WWII before she was a chef?  She was in her 50's when she started her show on PBS.  I was in my...8's?  

I was glued to the TV on PBS whenever I was not in school, to get Julia and later Bob Ross (Happy little trees).  My mom HATED Julia, did not get her at all.  So we fought over who had the TV sometimes.  So I left home and bought my own TV.  

And that's a true story.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-16-2012 - 2:38pm
I used to watch her on PBS. Loved that!

~Misty~