Herbs - fresh or frozen?

iVillage Member
Herbs - fresh or frozen?
Tue, 01-03-2012 - 10:00pm

Sorry for all the questions, but I just got a delivery of produce today and want to make the most of it!

Photobucket

Pages

Community Leader
Fri, 01-13-2012 - 11:42pm

I already have my garden ready to go, tilled under and covered in weed block so all I have to do this year is cut slits in the weed block and plant my herbs and tomatoes and peppers.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-13-2012 - 10:22pm
I'm going to have to learn to cook more with herbs. I really want to have a small herb garden this year. That's the goal, anyway!

That salad made me hungry for cuke and tomato salad, I love it made with good fresh tomatoes from the garden, but never made it with basil. I'm definitely going to try that this summer!!

~Misty~

Community Leader
Thu, 01-12-2012 - 6:23pm

In the summer at our camper I have different kinds of basil I used it for a lot of different things even for mint when I made some lemonade..I like fresh basil. I also now have a pot with mint that I started and I just sit the pot under the camper and in the spring it takes off growing again....lol Thrifty.

I also have a pot of rosemary. I love it but when I get the dried stuff I can never cut it up and get any use out of it.....You go to cut it and it flies all over the place...I don't have a grinder....

A lot of time I will pick some basil and rosemary and put it in a glass of water and use it for a few days sometimes you just need that little bit of something.....

The one day I was going to put some burgers on the grill. We don't eat burgers much because they are usually so boring and plain so I cut up some onion,rosemary and garlic and mixed it in with the meat and cooked them and put 2 slices of provalone cheese on it we actually ate them on a plate with fresh tomato, cuke and basil salad...

Community Leader
Sun, 01-08-2012 - 6:57pm
Do you garden? I do! Squash bugs wiped me out last year, but this year's herb garden is going to be AWESOME! I'm in NW Mississippi, where are you?
Photobucket
Community Leader
Sun, 01-08-2012 - 1:34pm

LOL, Misty!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-08-2012 - 1:27pm
freezer
is best for me
I am not into drying. won't wait because freezer means an easy slap into the freezer and I feel they are just as good vs. 'fresh' from some chemical farming vs. my own home grown
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-07-2012 - 10:38pm
at reminded me of a funny story....I think it was about 9 years ago..I had a sulfa allergy. It was before Thanksgiving, and so I couldn't be around people for a month, I couldn't get sick etc, immune system was messed up, etc.

Anyway, DH and I had our own little thanksgiving, I was excited because I'd never cooked one before. I turned the oven on to heat up before putting the turkey in, but didn't know that DH had put a box of Krispy Kreme doughnuts in there to hide from me, it was a surprise for dessert. The box melted, it had plastic lining the box. It was a MESS and it sutnk SO bad. Took forever to get the oven cleaned.

I learned the hard way to ALWAYS check the oven!!

~Misty~

Community Leader
Thu, 01-05-2012 - 12:33pm

I have not tried freezing fresh thyme, so it would be worth trying to see if it shrivels and wilts like parsley does.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-05-2012 - 10:14am
k_roni wrote: They are right next to my ginger root.
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-05-2012 - 10:02am
Sweet! So now when I buy that expensive thing of rosemary I wont cry when I cant use it and the rest goes bad! What about thyme? is it kind of like the parsley or can it handle it?

christinaaug26.jpg picture by freakytiki2

Visit

Pages