The Holiday Rib Roast - Never too Early!

iVillage Member
The Holiday Rib Roast - Never too Early!
Wed, 11-21-2012 - 11:48am

Hi All,

I'm curious first to know how many of you do something other than the traditional turkey or ham at Christmas?  Each year I learn a lot prowling around online and starting discussions like this.

As a retired butcher, my interest in holiday centerpieces is still very much alive, and I've written a number of articles on these for my website MeatShop101.com.  I've also added a pretty detailed writeup on the Beef Standing Rib Roast and cooking methods.  Feel free to visit and let me know what you think!

All the Best & Happy Holidays!

E Turner - Meatshop101

Community Leader
Tue, 11-27-2012 - 9:48pm
I have a cousin who does pasta for her meal.. Pizza sound ok also.. I know my hubby loves Beef..
<
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-23-2012 - 10:39pm
Pizza....yup...all I'm doing is pizza. We got to my sister's Christmas Eve, and I usually bring a ham, so will just do that, easy. Christmas day we go to my mother in law's for Prime Rib, and the smell turns my stomach because it's so strong. But since we eat to early at my sister's, we are hungry later at home. After all that, I'm NOT cooking a big meal. So, I'll plan ahead and get a take and bake pizza.

~Misty~

Community Leader
Fri, 11-23-2012 - 6:45pm
I will be doing a Rib Roast for Christmas Dinner. You sure do a lot in the kitchen.
<
Community Leader
Thu, 11-22-2012 - 11:38am
The butcher in town here is going to order me a crown rib roast of pork if I sell the family on the menu this year. We aren't a big group, I can be creative. Nice website!
Photobucket
Community Leader
Thu, 11-22-2012 - 11:32am

During my years as a restauranteur, I became the queen of non-traditional.  In catering and holiday menus, it seemed like we cooked the turkey-ham-yams-dressing-cranberry things from just after Halloween until January, then it showed back up AGAIN at Easter.  So at home, NO WAY.  It was build your own Taco bar, a shrimp and crab boil, a Chateau Briand, a beef Wellington, duck l'orange, giant homemade eggrolls with hot and sour soup, lobster, moo goo gai pan with a tempura pot, enchiladas and mexican rice and frijoles, venison steaks, lasagna, wedding soup....

Actually the Pilgrims ate lobster and rabbit at the first Thanksgiving.  I think the reason we go to ham and turkey for holidays is that we feel comfortable with big cuts for big gatherings.  

Photobucket