Homemade pasta?

iVillage Member
Homemade pasta?
Mon, 09-05-2011 - 7:11pm

Have you made your own? I have been wanting to make some whole wheat pasta. Im sure I couldn't get a spaghetti, but maybe a linguini noodle. Anyway, I came across this recipe :

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups 100% whole wheat flour
2 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
Water, as needed

DIRECTIONS:
Blend together flour, eggs and salt. Add water, one tablespoon at a time, until dough comes together, but is not sticky. Check after each tablespoon to see if dough has firmed. I used about 7 tbsp of water for this recipe, but my whole wheat flour is two months old and really dried out.

Roll dough as thin as you can, forming a rectangle. If dough starts to spring back when rolled, let the dough rest for ten minutes and resume rolling.

Trim the edges of the dough and roll the flat sheet of dough into a jelly roll. Using a very sharp knife, slice the roll into small rounds. Unroll the rounds into long noodles, and toss them with flour on a baking sheet to dry, or serve immediately.

Fresh noodles will only take about 4 minutes to cook — they are done when they float to the top of the water.

Makes two medium-sized portions of pasta, can be doubled.

christinaaug26.jpg picture by freakytiki2

Visit

Pages

Community Leader
Sat, 09-24-2011 - 3:35pm
That's the way I made the chicken noodle soup for my restaurants! That old hen is the tastiest. I used them for my dumplings and chicken salad too.
Photobucket
Community Leader
Sat, 09-24-2011 - 3:16pm

I have a hand crank pasta machine...

Now they use them for everything else even crafts...but when the kids were little I would make big batches of dough..

We would set up chairs and finally years later I bought a wooden indoor clothes dryer.....and we would cover the rungs or broomsticks what ever with towels and we would dry noodles. It would be a couple day thing and that would give us pasta for a few months....the kids loved doing it. And I thought it was fun too....but then I was a stay at home mom so that is just what I did....

Then in later years I used an electric pasta machine....it works fine but not as fun really.....

But my moms noodles are still the best.......she would make the dough roll it out roll it into a log then cut the noodles and we would toss them with flour she would let them set on the counter for an hour or so till the soup(chicken mostly) then put the noodles in to boil for a while.....with an old hen it was and is still the best chicken soup that you can get.......

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-08-2011 - 2:58pm
Oh my gosh...lol. That is funny, but how frustrating for her!! I have always wanted to try a wok.... Good year, I was born in 1975!

We have a lot in common Karen, I edited a newspaper (a tiny one, called the "Desert Whispers") for 12 years before I had my DD's. It was old fashioned cut and paste, I did the writing, editing, and cut n pasting. When I started there in 1994, they were still using rub off letters for headlines, and a typewriter for the body of the articles!! They had a computer, but none of the ladies there knew how to operate it...lol! Only part of that job I liked, because I was also a district clerk. Blah to that part...lol. Before I left in 2005, it had gone digital, not nearly as much fun though.

This friend of my parents had three kids...she gave them all names that started with an L ... so she could force herself to learn the L sound. Didn't work, she always called them Wewis, Wwoyd, and Wiwy. Al the W's were actually L's.

I don't remember the dish she made every time they came to visit, and my mom made it once a year or so also. It was beef, thinly sliced I think, and eggs, raw until you mixed it with the other stuff. I think maybe bean threads too. I don't even remember what else was in it. I do remember that it was very good though. When she met my DH, (back when he was just the BF), she would get all excitd that she could cook for a "big eater" and one that was part Japanese to boot!! She kept telling him that all he had to do was come visit her, and she'd cook for him, what ever he wanted. We really should have done that! I don't even know if she's still alive.

~Misty~

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-08-2011 - 12:29pm
I wish I would have taken more interest in it when I was younger too. My grandma could've taught me a lot.

Visit

Community Leader
Wed, 09-07-2011 - 11:37pm

I learned a lot of cooking from a GI wife too, brought back from Korea by an executive at Holiday Inns, Inc.

Photobucket
Community Leader
Wed, 09-07-2011 - 11:31pm

OH, you just brought back another one.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-07-2011 - 11:21pm
I really wish I had the desire to learn cooking when I was yonger that I have now. My parents had a good friend, Yasko (no clue how to spell it, but that is ho it sounds). She was a little, feisty Japanese lady who married a GI after the Korean war. Anyway, he brought her here, and she taught my mom a lot of recipes, which I have none. It makes me sad that I didn't spend time cooking with her, or insist my mom write down her recipes for me.

Karen, you are so lucky to have had that experience!!!

~Misty~

Community Leader
Wed, 09-07-2011 - 9:35pm

One of my favorite memories...when I had my first restaurant, my next door neighbor was the dean of foreign languages at University of Southern Mississippi.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-06-2011 - 8:23am
I bet that the fresh ravioli was amazing! My mom used to make homemade egg noodles all of the time. She would make them for a fundraiser for my Grandmas Senior Center and they were always a huge hit.

Visit

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-06-2011 - 1:13am
We enjoy making fresh pasta. It has been a while, though. The last time was kind of a disaster cuz we decided to make ravioli & a few other types of pasta...that would have been okay, but my stepdaughter, her DH & our 7 mo granddaughter were visiting for a week & DH cousin was arriving that night to spend a few days, too. Really, you do not want your kitchen covered in pasta & flour when you have a houseful of company!! So wedding give it a chance to dry thoroughly before we stored it & it got moldy. The ravioli, which we ate that night was delicious, though, stuffed with sausage & goat cheese!

Pages