How do you chop garlic??

iVillage Member
How do you chop garlic??
Tue, 04-05-2011 - 10:50am

I realize that this seems like a silly question, but I am really curious because this is one of my least favorite cooking tasks. Of course on the Food Network they make it look so easy LOL

Community Leader
Tue, 04-05-2011 - 10:56am

For things that I am going to be cooking for a while I put the clove on the cutting board and lay a wide knife blade on it and give it a whack....the paper comes right off.....sometimes I whack it again and then rock the knife back and forth over it. That is also the way the chefs do it on tv......but now if they are making a dressing or if you are making something that isn't cooked as much they use those fine graters it makes the garlic so there isn't any chunks.

You can also grate it into anything, myself I don't mind the pieces in something but either way you get the garlic in.

They also have garlic presses but I always left more garlic in them than in my food....so I don't use them....

Hope that helps a bit....

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-05-2011 - 12:10pm
Thanks for your answer. I think that's what I need to do, whack it more before I start chopping to help it end up in smaller pieces. I don't really mind bigger chunks, but for some dishes, it probably needs to be finer, like you said. Thanks!
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-05-2011 - 12:49pm
I grate it alot. I also have a small food processor/chopper thingy. If i need more than once clove, i put them in there and make it do the work.

christinaaug26.jpg picture by freakytiki2

Visit

Community Leader
Tue, 04-05-2011 - 3:59pm
I do it like Janet whack it and then cut
I love garlic anyway.. I even roast it in the microwave and then pop off the skin and eat them. I do think its fresher than jar kinds.

Its not really hard to whack them with a large knife
and then cut into pieces..
<
Community Leader
Tue, 04-05-2011 - 8:50pm

Welcome, great question!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-06-2011 - 9:58am
I have been doing the whack & chop lately when I just need a clove or two, but if I need a larger quantity I use my garlic press. I have a jumbo press that I bought in a kitchen/hardware store in Italy. It holds at least 3 cloves or more. I just flip over the garlic that it leaves, add more & crush again. I like to keep a little jar of minced garlic with ginger in the fridge for any Asian type stuff I may be cooking, but other than that, no pricessed garlic at my house!

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-06-2011 - 5:32pm
Yum, garlic!! I'm the only one here that likes it, but I love it raosted and then smeared on garlic bread or just baguette bread.

~Misty~