How often do you cook shrimp?

Community Leader
How often do you cook shrimp?
Tue, 08-14-2012 - 9:54pm

I'm a HUGE shrimp lover, my first restaurant was 50 miles from the Gulf Coast.  Now that I am back in Memphis, I can't get fresh shrimp anymore, but I still cook shrimp at least once  a week.  

My favorite is scampi.  But my customers loved jambalaya, shrimp creole, and the cajun shrimp boil I did on Saturday nights.  I am not a huge fan of fried shrimp, unless it is coconut shrimp.  But I had both on my menu.  And I make a mean shrimp salad.  

How often do you eat shrimp, and what is the price in your area?

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-15-2012 - 1:34am
I eat shrimp roughly once a month, but I never really cook it because I always buy the precooked deveined/deshelled kind. I just defrost it and toss it in whatever I'm making or enjoy it solo. I'd eat it more often, but it is pricey.
Follow me to Coping with Job Loss

Follow me to Birth Control

--------
Community Leader
Wed, 08-15-2012 - 12:42pm

My shrimp salad is full of very finely diced celery, onion, and bell pepper.  Then I make a garlic vinaigrette to toss it with.  I used to use a little mayo or yogurt, but mayo bothers me and I prefer the fresher taste of just the vinaigrette, seasoned up with some herbs.  Stuff that in your tomato!  

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-15-2012 - 2:46pm
I don't eat it very often, it's pricey but not sure what it is here. We get fresh shrimp here, I always see it in the grocery stores, but I never look at the price! I'm not sure where our shrimp comes from, not sure if Oregon or Washington have it? Crab is another matter though. YUM! Oregon's crab is the BEST. Sweet and yummy.

I like coconut shrimp too, but I buy it frozen when I do. I love shrimp cocktail, but I also buy it frozen. I don't think I've ever cooked one.

I sometimes buy the little tiny things canned and toss them with lettuce, tomato, mayo, salt and pepper for a quick shrimp salad.

~Misty~

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-17-2012 - 3:28pm
I love shrimp cocktail and shrimp salad, and that shrimp spread that you make with tomato soup and cream cheese - I could eat the whole thing spread on crusty bread or crackers or even in sandwiches!
Community Leader
Fri, 08-17-2012 - 8:05pm

Beware of "fresh" shrimp in the fish counter if you live more than 50 miles from the coast.  It was frozen when it arrived at the store, and they thawed it.  Kroger is now disclosing that.  So if you are not going to use it THAT DAY, buy frozen.  

I'll share a couple of stories with you.  

My restaurant on the Gulf coast was EXACTLY 50 miles north of Biloxi, MS.  My seafood vendor had his own boats, his own processing house, and would not deliver much further north than me, because he said it was not food safe to haul unfrozen seafood for more than an hour.  He wanted to stay in business, so no one was going to get sick on HIS watch.  He froze most of what he processed.  

So here comes Hurricane Elena.  Straight at us.  My seafood guy loaded EVERYTHING he had and hauled it up to my restaurant, to put into my freezeer so that he would not lose everything to power failure, a direct hit, whatever.  Then the hurricane turned and headed back the Florida.  He came and got his stuff.  Then the hurricane turned again, and headed back to us.  I got the seafood again.  Then it turned and headed to Texas.  Seafood left again.  Then the hurricane turned again, and I got seafood again.  Then it headed back to Florida, and the seafood left.  pant, pant pant... Then the hurricane turned again, and headed straight back at us.  I got the seafood again... and we got a direct hit.  He stayed in business because of that, his processing house was pretty much trashed.  

The reason Beaudreux (yes, that was his name) wanted to put his seafood in MY freezers was that I had the contract to feed the regional power companies' emergency crews.  So if there was a power outage, the FIRST light that came back on was MINE.  An army marches on its stomach, and I was feeding that army.  

Now, while all this was going on, I had my own issues at home.  At 50 miles inland, my threat was spinoff tornadoes.  So every time Elena headed back at us, the drill was:

Have a chest freezer at least half full of milk jugs of water frozen.
Disassamble the swingset and put it in the attic.
Empty Mr. Turtle sandbox and put it in the attic.  
Put the firewood in the utility room.  The entire pile.
Check the hinges and hooks on the storm shutters.  
Bake a ham, baked beans, make potato salad, and make cole slaw.  All things that could make a meal without cooking.  
Sanitize the toilet tank...you might need to wash your face and hands in it.  
Sanitize the tub and fill it up.  You'll need it to wash dishes.  
Buy batteries, candles, paper plates, and lamp oil.  

So I was doing that EVERY TIME the hurricane turned, then when it turned away I was putting the swingset back together and hauling in sand for Mr. Turtle.  And getting my woodpile back out.  

WHEW!

Photobucket
Community Leader
Fri, 08-17-2012 - 8:14pm

Shrimp story #2:  

One of my customers was a foreman for the power company.  He told me one day that he and his wife had booked a vacation in San Francisco, CA and they could not wait to try some fresh Pacific seafood.  

On his return, he said the first place they went was to the docks to get some oysters.  They were happily chowing down, when the kitchen door opened, and he saw a stack of boxes in the freezer that said, "Gallot Seafood, Biloxi, MS."  He was destroyed.  He was paying 3 times the price he would have paid at MY restaurant, for the same product, but it had been frozen and thawed, was not fresh!  

There is so much good food in Mississippi.  Sometimes we forget that we have the best of everything.  

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-19-2012 - 9:53am
Seafood is yuck, lol. But the husband just bought a pound of medium shrimp for 6 something. He put them in the smoker. He and his friends said they were awesome.

christinaaug26.jpg picture by freakytiki2

Visit

Community Leader
Sun, 08-19-2012 - 6:40pm
I'd have LOVED THAT!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-21-2012 - 1:08pm

Great stories! And I did NOT know that about the fresh shrimp not being fresh, so thank youi!

Community Leader
Tue, 08-21-2012 - 1:41pm

On Saturday mornings I used to load the kids and our puppy into the station wagon with 9 big coolers.  We headed to the coast, and bought french fries to feed to the sea terns while we waited for the shrimp boats to come in.  Back then, you could buy netloads directly off the boat!  Going rate was $.98/lb.  I'd fill the coolers with a netload of shrimp and whatever else happened to be in there (special of the day), and we'd head back to the restaurant.  Jean, who had the Saturday afternoon shift in the kitchen, spent the rest of the day sorting and preparing the shrimp.  I was buying usused wax milk cartons (1/2 gallon size) and filling them with the shrimp, then with cold water, and freezing them.  That is what Beaudreaux told me to do since I didn't have a flash freezer.   It works like a charm!

But Jean always raised her hands after getting the shrimp sorted, took a deep sniff, and said, "MMMM, smells like last night's good time!"  Gotta love Jean!   

Photobucket

Pages