How to store veggies from my garden?

iVillage Member
How to store veggies from my garden?
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 4:37pm

I am getting a lot of lettuce from my garden, but I'm not sure if there is a good way to store it in the fridge?  Also, I think I'll be getting quite a few red onions, green onions and carrots.  Anyone know a good way to store them in the freezer?  I just hate to think of any of the veggies I've worked so hard for going to waste!!

~Misty~

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-08-2012 - 9:08am
I use a combination of Tupperware's SmartFridge and Debbie Meyer's Green Bags to keep my produce fresh. Onions and potatoes I keep downstairs in the basement to keep dry and cool. I have only diced onions (and peppers) and froze them, but haven't gone beyond that. It is hard to keep up with the goodies from the garden!

<

Community Leader
Wed, 08-08-2012 - 2:45pm

There is not much you can do with the lettuce but eat faster!  Onions are ok for a while in dry storage, but I dice them and freeze them after a while.  I also dice and freeze bell peppers.  Carrots need a little blanching in boiling water before freeezing.  Tomatoes can be frozen; blanche to loosen the skins and peel them, then freeze in zipper bags.  

To blanche veggies, get a pot of water boiling and get another pot full of ice water.  Give the veggies a 1-3 minute dip in the boiling water, then shock in the ice water to stop the cooking.  Your veggies are done in the boiling pot when the color gets bright.  

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-09-2012 - 12:13pm

Here's some tips I found for storing lettuce in the fridge:

To save refrigerator shelf space, store cleaned romaine lettuce upright in a pitcher. If you add a little water to the pitcher, the greens will stay vibrant and crisp longer.

Keep lettuce refrigerated (32-36°F), stored in a perforated plastic bag, away from fruits to avoid deterioration.

Submerge wilted greens in cold water by placing them in a dish, filling it with water, and putting it in the refrigerator overnight.

This is supposed to keep your lettuce up to a month. I don't know if it would last a month, but I have stored lettuce in a bag with a paper towel, which does help.

1 Head (or bag) of lettuce
 12 oz. to 16 oz. mason jars (depending on how large you like your salad, or if you like to share!)
 Paper towels or paper napkins
 Salad toppings of your choice
Wash jars and set them out to dry
Wash and chop head of lettuce
Stuff jars with lettuce (the fuller, the better)
Dampen a paper towel and fold it up small enough to fit into the mouth of the jar.
Lay paper towel over the top of lettuce and secure lid.
Turn upside down and store in the fridge for up to a month!!
When you're ready to eat, throw out the paper towel and prep as you like!
Notes:
If you have enough space in your jars you can top your salad while still in the jar and have an easy lunch to-go, or great solution to salad at parties!

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-09-2012 - 2:49pm
Thanks everyone for the great ideas. I'm definitely going to blanche and freeze the carrots and onions and use the vase of water for the lettuce. I always crisp them in the fridge before I use it, it's too wilty right after it's picked. I never thought about soaking it in ice water, I might try that today.

~Misty~

Community Leader
Thu, 08-09-2012 - 6:48pm
Don't blanche the onions! Just chop and freeze!
Photobucket
Community Leader
Thu, 08-09-2012 - 6:56pm

I use the pitcher method for my celery, and throw the produce bag that it came in over top to keep it fresh.  It's good for about 3 weeks that way.  I never thought about lettuce in the pitcher, but lettuce doesn't last long around THIS bunny rabbit!  I have one two of those Tupperware thingys from the 70's that has the drainer in the bottom, it does the same thing as the wet paper towel in the jar.  

I was a huge fan of Good Seasons dressings back in the 70's, and they usually sold their 3-pack of dressing mix with a bottle to make it in.  I think I have probably 12 of those, and at least one Hidden Valley Ranch shaker bottle.  But I make my dressings from scratch, and use those old bottles to whip it together in.  There are 3 bottles of home made vinaigrette in my fridge now, and one at the office :heart: and I have lettuce in Tupperware both at home and at the office.  There is nothing I love more!  

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-11-2012 - 11:00pm
I have done the lettuce in a jar with water and it's working really well so far. I picked a bunch Thursday and it's still crisp. I make homemade french and dill, my mom used to make a cheese and bacon dip and dressing by just adding a bit more milk. Not sure how she did it, but I'm thinking just mayo, sour cream, grated cheese and cubed bacon. She and I would eat chips and that dip while playing Scrabble in the winter. I NEVER won!! =D

I've been eating a lot of salads lately also, I just crave it this time of year. Plus, no turning the oven or stove one!! Besides for the boiled eggs that I like in my salads.

~Misty~

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-20-2012 - 2:49pm
I forgot to ask about green onions? I'm thinking the green part wold turn to mush?

~Misty~

Community Leader
Tue, 08-21-2012 - 10:12am

Green onions don't keep.  They WILL turn to mush.  You can try chopping and freezing, that works in small batches.  But I never have many that I don't eat right away!    

Photobucket
Community Leader
Tue, 08-21-2012 - 10:15am

In Memphis, this is how we do green onions...

Photobucket

Pages