I made a pie

iVillage Member
I made a pie
Tue, 11-23-2010 - 9:23am

Dh has been wanting a Coconut Cream pie for a long time now. So over the weekend I finally made him one. I had never made it before, I hate coconut, and I have never tried a meringue either. So anyway, I cooked up the filling and added it to a cooked pie shell, then whipped the meringue and topped the filling then baked it. I let it cool, then stuck it in the frigde. The next day, Dh had a piece. Said it tasted good, but there was a bit of watery stuff on top and then after that first peice was cut, the watery stuff went to the pie pan, so now the crust is soggy. I let it cool competely before I put it in the fridge. When I made the meringue, I used granulated sugar, bc the recipe didnt specify. Should I have used powdered? Maybe I didnt let the filling cook enough before I put it in the pan? I just dont know why there was watery stuff.

christinaaug26.jpg picture by freakytiki2

Visit

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-23-2010 - 12:48pm

First I wanted to thank you for making him that pie. I hate meringue, so I haven't made it

in years. You used the right kind of sugar, so it isn't that. I know that meringue's often

separate or "weep", giving off a watery layer. Or it's possible that your filling wasn't cooked

enough.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-23-2010 - 1:21pm
Oh wow! Thank you! I bet thats what it was, the meringue wasnt cooked enough on the bottom. I did hesitate after I put the filling in the pie crust. I didnt pull the filling off the heat, add it to the crust and IMMEDIATELY add the meringue. Like I said, I had never made it before, so I was suprised at how much filling there was once it was in the crust, so I stood there, wondering if I added to much of something, lol! I didnt...but wasnt sure at the time. Then I messed with the meringue for a bit before scooping it on. That HAS to be it! I printed your post out, and put it with the recipe.
Thank you! Now next time, I can improve.

christinaaug26.jpg picture by freakytiki2

Visit

Community Leader
Tue, 11-23-2010 - 10:44pm

Susan is right, and she gave you a ton of great advice!

Photobucket