I need some help and ideas

iVillage Member
I need some help and ideas
Thu, 11-17-2011 - 11:41am

Hi, My name is Trish. I usually hang out over in the parenting area, but I'm hoping you can help me with some ideas for Thanksgiving and Christmas cooking. We've always gone to my mother-in-law's house but she moved into a much smaller place this year so we're going to be having 15 - 20 people at our house for the holidays now. I'm nervous about doing all the work since I don't have a huge kitchen. Can you tell me what kind of stuff I can do ahead of time? Or any other tips or ideas or short cuts? I'd really appreciate the advice. My co-worker said her sister used to grill their turkey on the grill so she'd have more room in the oven. I don't think I'm that adventurous, but I'll take any ideas I can get right now!!

Thank you!

Pages

Community Leader
Thu, 11-24-2011 - 6:23pm

Today I used my pastry blender to mash potatoes.

Photobucket
Community Leader
Thu, 11-24-2011 - 6:13pm
Let us know how all turned out for you..
<
Community Leader
Thu, 11-24-2011 - 6:13pm
Trish Let us know how everything turned out for you.. Love to hear back from you..

Happy Thanksgiving..
<
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-24-2011 - 8:22am
I use mayo, a bit of mustard, some salt, and then pickle juice. and then the paprika goes on top. We had a different brand of pickles in the fridge. Same 'style' as we usually have, but the fancy brand instead of the normal store brand. So I blame that for the extra saltiness. Everything else was just like I normally do. They arent that bad, but i noticed the salt. Maybe after the mix sat and came together it wont be so bad. I havent tasted them today yet.

christinaaug26.jpg picture by freakytiki2

Visit

Community Leader
Wed, 11-23-2011 - 8:48pm

Too salty?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-23-2011 - 3:05pm

Told you pastry blenders are great!!:smileytongue:

~Misty~

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-23-2011 - 12:30pm
I bet it does smell good! I am halfway through 2 batches of rolls. I finished the deviled eggs finally. Although, they are a bit salty. Crappy! After this last batch of rolls, my part in the meal is done!
Oh, and that pastry blender for the eggs was a dream come true! SO much better than a friggin fork!

christinaaug26.jpg picture by freakytiki2

Visit

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-22-2011 - 4:14pm
Yaeh, I learned the hard way about the potatoes too! I'll covere them with water and let them chill in the fridge until it's time to cook them. I made a pumpkin pie and a custard pie today, already have a French Silk Chocoalte pie in the freezer, and boy is it hard to not ut into it!! =D I'm going to cook bacon for my broccoli salad, cut up the onion, and make the dressing for it to be ready also.

My house smells SO good right now!!

~Misty~

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-22-2011 - 2:05pm
Thank you so much for the advice k_roni! You've given me a lot to think about with the veggies. I'm doing my final grocery run this afternoon, so I need to decide about the broccoli. I'm thinking I could cut it up the night before, then steam it at the last minute on the stove. Spinach sounds good too, but I think more of our family members would go for broccoli.
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-22-2011 - 2:00pm
mmaielua7 wrote:
Thanks for posting this question Trish. I've learned a few thing, and am now planning on cooking the turkey early, and getting the potatoes cut and in the fridge in the morning! =)

Glad I could be of service! :smileytongue: I've gotten some great ideas too.

The one thing I do know about potatoes (from a bad experience!) is if you cut them ahead of time, be sure they're either cooked, or covered with water. If not, they'll turn black. I haven't prepared them in advance since that happened. I think I'm going to give it a try this year though. I like the crock pot idea!

Pages