I went shopping hungry...

Community Leader
I went shopping hungry...
Sat, 09-01-2012 - 6:04pm

Oh this is never a good idea.  I usually stop for a taco if I am hungry, before I go Krogering, but today I did not.  I think I bought one of everything.  Especially fresh produce.  And the frozen veggies 10 for $10.  

The good news is I won't need to have a "stock up" trip to the store for about 2 months.  I sorted out my new freezer (it's mostly full of jugs of water, I guess I should call that ice, now) so that I don't lose anything in there...LOL, a terrible hazard with a chest freezer!  

I got some steaks. One is seasoned and about to go out onto my electric grill.  It's too windy (thanks to Isaac) to build a charcoal fire...last time I did that on a windy day, the firemen were really quick getting here.  

I'm not sure what I will be cooking for Labor Day but I've got lots of choices; a chicken, some pork roasts, some beef I can grind for burgers, some stuff for lasagna (wait, that is next week, for the lunch box). I also got red boiling potatoes so I can make a little potato salad.  

Photobucket
Community Leader
Sat, 09-08-2012 - 6:12pm

I really like bearnaise.  I know, egg allergy, I am not supposed to have it...but I truly love bearnaise.  

OK, get 3 egg yolks to room temp. Cut a stick of butter into thirds.  whip the egg yolks in a bowl that will fit over a pot of simmering water but not touch the water (AKA double boiler).  Add one of the chunks of butter to the egg yolks and set the bowl over the simmering water.  Whisk constantly until the butter is melted and incorporated, then add another chunk of butter... and then the last.  Add 2 tsp (+/-) vinegar and whisk.  add 1/4 tsp dried tarragon and keep whisking until it comes together thick again.  take off the heat, and O M G, the perfect steak sauce.  

Now I wonder...why hasn't anyone tried this on a burger?  Speaking of burger, Radio Memphis is on a burger challenge, and I went with them this week, to a place in my little burg, Olive Branch.  I need to start a new thread for that!

Next question:  How did "incorporating" become a cooking term?  It used to apply to business deals, and in the kitchen we just MIXED WELL

Here is a RECIPE for you that has no corporations!  

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Re: I went shopping hungry...
Sat, 09-08-2012 - 3:29pm

I've never tried chimichurri sauce but I want to some day.  I've seen a few different versions of it out there just need remember when I make the shopping list.  My husband likes to have a good steak and its only taken me 20 years to cook them properly, not over done  grey or crispy.

PattyK

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a306/yttap/siggys/