Icing Fur?

iVillage Member
Icing Fur?
Mon, 07-14-2014 - 3:46pm

Ok bakers, has anyone made fur or hair or grass with frosting using a tip like this: Wilton Tip No. 233? My sister is having a Monster's Inc. 1st Birthday party for my niece, and being the good aunt that I am *wink* I said I'd make cupcakes to go along with the cake she ordered. So I picked out making Sully after seeing this photo:

I may/may not do the horns. 

So here's my questions - 1) would it look dumb without the horns? (I.E. can you tell it is still Sully, being that the party will have Monsters Inc stuff all around), 2) I'm guessing a thick buttercream would work best to stand up? 3) would the above tip give me this look and how hard is that tip to use? (I'm imagining all sorts of clumps, lol!). 

demecafe

Community Leader
In reply to: demecafe
Tue, 07-15-2014 - 2:06pm

Those look neat! IMO the horns are neat, but I think you could get by without them since it's a themed party. I'd use a medium consistency buttercream. Depending on the recipe, and how forgiving it is, you can change the consistency by the amount of milk you are adding into it.  I'd go with a pretty stiff one to get the nice fur definitions.  I've not used that tip but I would definitely make a few fur clumps before starting on the cupcakes. Get a feel for how fast it comes out, as well as knowing if it's stiff enough. Good luck and be sure to share! I'd love to see how they turn out!!

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-17-2014 - 10:43pm

I think they would  look fine without the horns .. You could alwaya cheat a little and use some kind of candy (like a big candy corn ) for the horns .

Malea

Looking to work from home ? Ask me how :

www.askmalea.com

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-18-2014 - 3:15pm

Thanks everyone, I'm getting ready to start on them now. :o  I've decided to try and do the horns. I'm going to use a marshmallow fondant. We'll see. 

demecafe

Community Leader
Fri, 07-18-2014 - 3:38pm

What a cute idea!  Take pictures!

Photobucket