It's an enchilada kind of day!

Community Leader
It's an enchilada kind of day!
Sat, 03-23-2013 - 12:42pm

Put down those cans and seasoning packets!  You don't need them!  

Enchilada Meat:

2 pounds of ground beef in 2 quart sauce pan
1 teaspoon of salt
2 tablespoons of chili power
1 teaspoon of garlic powder or 2 chopped garlic cloves
1 teaspoon of cumin
2 tablespoons of paprika
Enough water to cover meat

Bring to a boil. Simmer over medium low heat about an hour. Check it in about 15 minutes; take a potato masher break up the meat a little. You don't want it to cook up in lumps. Repeat this process 2 or 3 more times. Also make sure we don't run dry of water. Add water if needed.  Add 1/2 medium chopped onion, 1/2 medium chopped bell pepper; continue cooking 20 or 30 more minutes.

Enchilada Sauce:

16 oz chicken stock (or water)
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin 
1 teaspoon salt 
1 teaspoon cornmeal
1/3 teaspoon Oregano
2 tablespoons flour

To make more or less. Use water and spices to proportion. It does not need to be exact. Bring to a boil, cook over medium heat for about 20 or 30 minutes.

True Mexican enchiladas are not rolled (that would be Tex Mex); they are layered.  Some are made with cheese only.  Today I'm making beef enchiladas with Jack and Cheddar, and I'll be using flour tortillas (corn is the standard) because Taco Bell has me Enchirito trained.  Tongue Out  Enchiladas are treated as a casserole, bake to heat through and melt the cheese.  Garnish with black olives, sour cream, and serve with a side of rice.  

Mexican Rice

1 teaspoon of salt
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons cooking oil
1 cup uncooked rice
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup tomato puree or can tomato
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion

Heat oil. Add rice and cook until golden. Add & sauté onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Add Salt, tomato and broth in blender. Add to rice, cook until tender and liquid is absorbed. Cooking time: 20 minutes over low heat. 

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-28-2013 - 10:45pm
Getting everyone in my family to eat the same thing is close to impossible!

~Misty~

Community Leader
Thu, 03-28-2013 - 8:10pm
He who does not love enchiladas has no soul...LOL!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-25-2013 - 10:38pm

I haven't made echaladas in a very long time.  I havemy mom's recipe which I love, but no one else in my family will eat them.  I've always looked for a good one that hubby will eat, but no luck.  I like chicken and thegirls will eat the packaged chicken but hubby won't.  

~Misty~