I've gone crazy again...is anyone surprised?

Community Leader
I've gone crazy again...is anyone surprised?
Mon, 03-10-2014 - 10:25pm

I found a great deal on a food saver (vacuum sealer) and a dehydrator recently.  I have not tried either yet, but I am trying to figure out how to work them into my kitchen space.  I'm watching a lot of stuff about the survivalists' "apocalypse" food storage, not that I believe in that.  I just want to know how to buy in bulk and cook for one, and not get freezer burn on my frozen foods.  

I like what I have been seeing about dehydrating as opposed to freezing.  Do any of you have any thoughts on this?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-12-2014 - 1:30pm

No thoughts other than I've been soooo wanting a vacuum sealer! Which one did you get?

demecafe

Community Leader
Thu, 03-13-2014 - 7:51pm

After reading a lot of reviews and watching a bunch of videos, I settled on the Foodsaver V3240.  It is vertical (aka small space on the counter), stores the rolls inside, and uses various sizes and styles of vacuum seal bags/rolls.  Versatility is what it is all about!

It was not expensive on Amazon.  

Photobucket
Community Leader
Fri, 03-21-2014 - 4:50pm
I really want a dehydrator, but haven't done it yet. We do have a vacuum sealer, I believe its the same model you mentioned. I didn't want it, but hubby did and bought it and I love it now!! There are times, even little things where we will get take out pizza and then vacuum seal it and leave it in the fridge and it stays so much fresher. And I can buy bulk chicken tenders or breasts, especially if I find them for a good sale price, split them up, vacuum seal them and freeze them and it works so much better! I haven't had any problems with freezer burn since we got it.
Photobucket
Community Leader
Tue, 03-25-2014 - 7:58pm

I'm looking forward to getting the good deals on 10 lb bags of potatoes, onions, etc., and dehydrating them for future use.  Especially wth farmer's market season about to open.  I STILL have not used either the dehydrator or the vacuum sealer, LOL, I've been too busy on the weekends to have any time at home!  

This past weekend, my boyfriend's grandson got married, and we were out of town for that.  Next weekend, we will be out of town picking up a vehicle.  Weekend before last, we were fishing on the Gulf coast.  I WANT TO PLAY WITH MY NEW TOYS!  WAHHHH!!!!

And I'm so sick of throwing away fresh food when we get busy like this and everything spoils.  I'll just really love having it dehydrated/vacuum sealed so that it can wait until I have time to use it.  

Photobucket