I've got a steamer, now what?

iVillage Member
I've got a steamer, now what?
Wed, 03-05-2014 - 3:11pm

Hi everyone! For Christmas, my mother-in-law gave me a steamer (this one). I've got the veggies thing down, but I'm not a fish eater (aside from tuna fish sandwiches, lol!) so what else can I steam in it? I have yet to use it and I feel like I'm missing out. I've read chicken is good steamed, with lemon slices on top. Has anyone tried this? Any recommendations? 

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-06-2014 - 8:35am

That looks like a handy tool. I don't really have many kitchen appliances. I am curious as to what people have to say about the steamer so I can decided if I need to get one.

I would like to know what kind of kitchen appliances other people have and how they help with cooking.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-07-2014 - 2:08am

I don't have a steamer because the only boiled food I eat is rice and pasta, and a good saucepan works fine for that.  I actually abhore boiled meat or fish.

As for other kitchen appliances, I have a lot, and use them all.  I have a Cuisinart food processor that slices, dices, chops, grinds, shreds and mixes.  I use it make potatoes au gratin, lyonaisse, potato pancakes, kugli, ham salad, battuto, mirepoix, coleslaw, pesto, to grind nuts, to shred and grind cheese,chop tomatoes, make salsa, etc.  A Mi Tutto immersion blender plus attachments I use to puree things in pots on the stove, like spaghetti sauce, and cream soups, whisk rouxes and sauces, and make smoothies, shakes, etc in the glass.  I use the attachments to chop small amounts of softer foods so I don't have to drag out the Cuisinart.  A Magic Bullet chops small amounts of harder foods than the Mi Tutto can handle, like nuts and cheeses, and makes great baby food out of whatever we are eating.  The Vitamix with wet, dry and wide-mouth bowls is a heavy-duty blender, that also grinds grain into flour.  I make my own bread, and pizza dough.   My KitchenAide mixes everything from pancake batter, to bread dough to meatball mix.  My meat and sausage grinding attachment died, so I need to get a new one of those.  I can grind in the Cuisinart, but not fill sausage casings.  The KitchenAide does.  A couple weeks ago my dd & I used it to make fondant for my granddaughter's birthday cake.  I have 2 Krups grinders--one for coffee beans, and one for spices, a Cuisinart wide-slot toaster with reheat and defrost settings, a coffee maker, & an expresso maker.  I also have a Fry Daddy and a crock pot that I rarely use anymore.  We used to use the Fry Daddy for doughnuts, french fries and fondue.

I also have a set of Lodge Logic cast iron, a set of Scanpan, 4 Dutch Ovens (2 enameled, 2 cast iron), a wok, and an assortment of Corning, Pyrex, and metal bakeware.  I also have a fish basket, a veggie and/or shish-ka-bob basket, and an electric rotisserie for my grill.

Community Leader
Mon, 03-10-2014 - 9:58pm

I'm not a fan of gadgets, but I do have a set of bamboo steamer baskets that fit on my wok and I have steamer baskets that fit into stockpots and such.  I'd never buy a gadget like that steamer, but steaming is great way to cook a lot of things besides veggies and fish.  

If you steam, be prepared to have a way to bring in color for meats.  I have a great recipe for Asian steamed BBQ ribs that are beautiful.  Chicken will steam well if you don't leave the skin on the final dish (ewww).  My steamed dishes usually involve more than the steamer.  I did read a good article this week about steaming hamburgers, and I have to admit, I've had them this way and it is awesome!

http://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/7292-connecticut-steamed-cheeseburgers

Photobucket