Kitchen Boo Boos!

iVillage Member
Kitchen Boo Boos!
Mon, 07-15-2013 - 4:01pm

I'm sitting here typing with my pinky finger all wrapped up.  I just got back from the doctor's office with 5 stitches, a tetanus shot and antibiotics!  I did a nice slice on my pinky using a slicer my neighbor loaned me, I guess that's another utensil that is banned from my kitchen.  There is a reason I like my knives to be on the duller side, and I won't use the pricey, Japanese ones my inlaws gave us for Christmas a few years back.  I'd for sure lose a finger with one of those.

Are you as clumsy as me when it comes to sharp implements?  My dh won't let me use the hedge trimmer either ;)

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-20-2013 - 10:39pm

That one sounds like a real ouchie! Frown I hope you heal quickly, ... I thought you were talking about food mistakes and how to repair them. Surprised My suggestion with the sharp stuff, ... take a little more time handling them. Um,   a minute or two makes a big difference.

Buttons 

Community Leader
Tue, 07-23-2013 - 10:29am

You are more likely to cut yourself with a dull knife than a sharp one.  It sounds like you are just missing some basic knife skills Surprised.  I have 2 slicers, and I respect them; use the hand guard and take my time.  I also use a mandoline, but never without the guard.  One thing I almost never use for slicing is the slicer on my food processor.  It is just so much easier to clean up after one knife!  

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-23-2013 - 1:23pm
I can get the stitches out in a day or two, it's been annoying trying to keep my right hand dry. Makes it a bit hard to wash dishes! That's my problem, I don't take my time when it comes to using an implement that's supposed to make it go quicker.

Community Leader
Fri, 07-26-2013 - 11:58am

Ouch!

I personally know I have no knife skills and it does take me a long time to make salads and such. It takes a ton of time when I'm trying to make fresh apple crisp, too, with all of the peeling, coring and slicing. I still make attempts, but I realize my shortcomings when it comes to the kitchen.

Thankfully I've never cut myself seriously, but I do have scars from oven burns, even from just making a frozen pizza :P

I hope you heal quickly. Vitamin E would be my recommendation! Oh, and I think they might make protective gloves for future knife use.

Liz

Clinical Research Associate

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-26-2013 - 4:03pm
Liz, you need to purchase an apple peeler/corer! It has a suction base, and will do all the hard work for you. I love mine, and use it all the time. It will peel, core, and slice the apple into a continuous ring. All I have to do is maybe use a hand corer to scrape some extra off if I didn't thread it good enough, and then do some vertical slices. Google it and you'll find lots of places to purchase one :)