Kroger isn't helping with the obesity problem

Community Leader
Kroger isn't helping with the obesity problem
Fri, 10-26-2012 - 2:53pm

I get the Kroger ad in both my email and my snail mail.  I enjoy reading it over my breakfast online.  But today's flyer really stood out...the fresh meats and veggies were on pages 8 and 9.  Seven pages of processed foods, candy, frozen pizzas, canned foods, cakes, cake mixes...

I only shop fresh meats and veggies and fruits.  They are usually on the front 2 pages of the sale flyer.  This was not a comforting change to see.  

On the other hand, my local Kroger is being expanded snd remodeled.  They say it won't be finished until April, but what's finished so far has a HUGE "WOW" factor.  It's going to be a grocery DISNEYLAND.  The new produce department is done, with the deli, sushi bar, olive bar, and a sit-down restaurant.  I can't wait to see the meat and fish counters!  I think they are going full-out in the home and garden department too.  

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-26-2012 - 7:41pm

Talk about junk food have you looked at diet Coke and Pepsi? Sure the 5 tbsp of sugar is gone and replaced with salt.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/foods-from-mcdonalds/6300/2  http://www.pepsicobeveragefacts.com/infobyproduct.php?prod_type=1026&prod_size=20&brand_fam_id=1051&brand_id=1000&product=Diet+Pepsi

While were talking let's look at our future generation http://www.doh.state.fl.us/chdcollier/Documents/ToothFairy/sipalldaypresentation.pdf

Bye Bye waistline hello hi-blood pressure, good going guys your killing more folks than in Afghanistan without firing a shot. Like DuPont says: "Better Living Through Chemistry" what's next edible packaging? Stepping off soapbox Ed

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-26-2012 - 7:49pm
That doesn't help people make good choices, for sure. But, the choices are still there for people to make. They can choose to skip the processed foods, and go for the fresh stuff, or not. They are re-doing the Wal Mart closest to me also, which is still over 90 miles groceries and that store is 100% cleaner....lol. Heck, I've already gone 90 miles, what's another 25?

~Misty~

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-27-2012 - 9:36am

Waaa…. So tired of writing a long post and losing it while posting.   Back to writing in Word so I don’t lose anything.   The things I do for my iVillage fix….  

Meat on page 7 is stupid.   The only thing that would make me go to an out of the way store is good meat prices.   Bad move.

I was sounding off on blaming school lunches for obesity.   They have made some crazy changes over the years.   They used to cook in those cafeterias.   Now they have to get everything frozen from some master warehouse.   Who knows what’s in those freezer packs. 

They added a salad bar last year.   The manager put small cups of chicken salad, pimento cheese, cottage cheese, or hard boiled eggs on the end.   You could get one with your salad.   You could get 2 packets of whole-grain saltines too.   But that was nixed this year.   Too much protein, they can’t have it.   What??   Get this one, the bun on a hot dog wasn’t big enough to satisfy the daily grain allotment so they moved to footlongs so they could serve a bigger bun.   So, more gross, fatty meat so they can serve a bigger bun.   Stupid.

photo BeachChairsRed.jpg

Community Leader
Mon, 10-29-2012 - 7:42pm

There is a Superlo store about 6-7 miles further away.  Sometimes I stop there.  I love Superlo's variety and prices, but I love that gas discount at Kroger!  The Gordin's Butcher Shop is the closest to me, but doesn't compete in the produce aisle.  I love their meat counter, low prices but the meat is not top quality.  But you can get tongue and rocky mountain oysters and smoked turkey necks!  No too good on their dry goods, a lot of stuff is out of date so you have to be careful to read labels. 

Photobucket
Community Leader
Thu, 11-01-2012 - 7:39pm
I am not sure if this is going to post or not. Well up here in Central eNY ther is no Kroger here. Sounds like a nice fancy place to shop..
<
Community Leader
Thu, 11-01-2012 - 7:44pm
We do have some pretty nice stores here that are similar to Kroger.. Wegmans is one of them.. We have Walmarts, Tops, Price Choppers, Save Lots, and a few other types of markets. I think any one can be frugal but it takes time and gas money to shop around for bargains... I love the markets that are clean and have nice employees who love their customers.. * Wegmans is just that.
<
Community Leader
Thu, 11-01-2012 - 8:07pm
yup, just happened to me too!
Photobucket
Community Leader
Thu, 11-01-2012 - 8:14pm

Kroger is the grocery giant, largest in the US, 2nd largest general retailer in the US, and 4th largest retailer in the world.  You won't find them in small towns.  Historically they pay better than average, thus get the cream of the crop for help, and they offer loyalty incentives that keep you coming back.  It's truly one-stop with a pharmacy, gas pumps, and lots of quirky stuff; and if you use your "member" card they send you coupons in the mail tailored to your specific buying trends, along with checks to use at the checkout (I got $5 off this morning using a check they sent me). 

Hey, welcome home!  Glad to see your post, sweetie! 

Photobucket
Community Leader
Thu, 11-01-2012 - 8:17pm
There is a Walmart across the street from Kroger, but I won't buy food there and I hate to shop there unless it is absolutely necessary. I don't mind it on really odd hours, like 7 a.m., but during peak hours it is just too much of a pain.
Photobucket