Ladies Christmas dinner at the church tomorrow

Community Leader
Ladies Christmas dinner at the church tomorrow
Sun, 12-02-2012 - 6:26pm

My daughter's church does a fund raising dinner every December just for ladies, with a silent auction.  The men get to be waiters **evil laugh** and the proceeds go to help the mission efforts.  My daughter's entry in the auction is always a cooler full of frozen gourmet meals that she prepares with her Supper Club group.  it commands a high dollar at the auction; her frozen dinners are legendary.  And each member of the auxiliary themes and sets a table.  This year Nicki is doing two tables.  

One of her tables will be snowflake themed, the other a fall theme featuring some ornamental gourds and pumpkins I brought her this week.  After all, it is hard to think about winter themes when temps are mid 70's and we went shopping today in strappy sundresses.  

OK, about that Supper Club.  Nicki and her friends who love cooking get together once a month and make big batch recipes, that they portion and freeze.  Everyone gets one of everyone else's batch, which is packaged with instructions for the reheating.  So you make 8 meals for 4, give 7 to your buddies, and get one of each of theirs in return.  WHAT A PLAN!  So far what I know is in the auction for tomorrow (cooler included) is Nicki's signature cinnamon rolls, manicotti, and two interesting sounding chicken dishes.  

Here's a peek at her snowflake table from 2 years ago:  

Christmas Traditions Dinner

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 12-02-2012 - 9:17pm

Awesome idea.  Our church does a "Tabletop Tea" in November with display tables decorated for Thanksgiving or Christmas, and "high tea" food.  We have only two gift baskets for raffle.  One is tea themed, and the other is a Christmas theme.  The church has a little bookstore/gift shop run by a women's group, and it is open that afternoon, showcasing Christmas ornaments and creches.  The Bookstore has the nicest selection on greeting cards CHEAP, and Bibles, Books of Common Prayer, study guides, and some Christian fiction.  They used to carry James Avery jewelry, but Avery got so famous and so big our Bookstore can't meet their minimum order requirements anymore Frown

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-03-2012 - 12:05pm

The supper club idea is a good one.  I might have to bring this up wth my group of play date moms.

~Misty~

Community Leader
Mon, 12-03-2012 - 11:48pm

It was successful as always!  I don't know how much Nicki's dinners went for, but I think my favorite item in the auction was a basket of Hostess cakes.  Labeled "RARE!"  LOL!

Dinner was good.  I did not stay to hear the auction results because my 6 yr old granddaughter was there and it is a school night, so I took her on home after the program was over (9 p.m.).  A bit late for her!

I've got to go get a physical in the morning and I can't lie down now...LOL, you can't eat at night with a hiatal hernia.  I have to fast beginning at midnight, nothing by mouth until my lab work is done in the morning.  I hate that...but it is necessary. 

And I'm having dinner out tomorrow night too, with my high school sorority sisters.  It will be another "sitting up" in bed night! 

Photobucket
Community Leader
Mon, 12-03-2012 - 11:52pm

The supper club IS a great idea.  Nicole buys disposable aluminum food pans, 3 for $1 at the dollar store.  Once they got their system down, it's a piece of cake!

Photobucket
Community Leader
Tue, 12-04-2012 - 5:49pm
Wow that is beautiful ! I think the idea is wonderful esp at this time of year..
<
Community Leader
Tue, 12-04-2012 - 5:51pm
K roni -Sounds like she takes after you with the cooking.. I wasn't so lucky with my daughter with the cooking she gives me ideas and I make them up...
<
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-05-2012 - 10:55pm

The table is beautiful! I also love the idea of the supper club, but where do they do it that has enough room to cook all those big batch recipes at once?

Community Leader
Fri, 12-07-2012 - 7:39pm

For the supper club, each one cooks in her own kitchen (sometimes they team up).  When they get together to swap meals, it's a "girl's night" with games etc.  But as for the 170 pans of cinnamon rolls they recently did, one of the gals has a DREAM KITCHEN with tons of space and two ovens.  Another of her friends has a licensed baker's kitchen in her home (she runs a cookie business).  They get it done!  

Here's a link to Angie's cookie buisness 

http://thepaintedcookiellc.com/gallery/

Have fun in there; she recently moved back here from a short stint in Murfreesboro so not all of the website is updated.  But those cookies...OMG!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-10-2012 - 5:24pm

Yum!

Community Leader
Mon, 12-10-2012 - 8:39pm
I to think Yum! She sounds just like you with doing all this kind of good cooking...
<