Learned something I didn't know..

Community Leader
Learned something I didn't know..
Tue, 04-05-2011 - 11:01am

We got a small freezer for our camper and I wanted to make sure it would fit, so I went to the web site and found out but they had freezing tips there...one said to oil meat before you wrap it to freeze it so it won't dry out and freezer burn so fast........

I always wondered about that.....

And while I am here talking about campers and freezing. Most people will just put their fish that they catch (I am talking about river fish not ocean) into plastic bags but it can freezer burn very fast......if you put it into 5qt ice cream buckets or anything with a lid and cover it in water it will last what seems like forever.....lol...never lasted that long when the kids were home but now with just 2 of us we have to do what we can do to keep it.......

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-05-2011 - 12:08pm

That is a good tip... I never thought of that before, but it makes sense. How do you usually wrap your meat to freeze?

Community Leader
Tue, 04-05-2011 - 8:40pm

Interesting about the oil; it makes sense!

Photobucket
Community Leader
Thu, 04-07-2011 - 10:14am

In the old days I would wrap meat tightly in plastic wrap, then in a bread sack and then into Tupperware. I could just get in and take out what I needed....

Now I wrap in plastic wrap and then into Lock & Lock. But I am going to start oiling first.... I love my L&L things seem to keep longer in the freezer and frig in them....

Community Leader
Fri, 04-08-2011 - 7:23pm

I usually wrap in several layers of PVC film (saran wrap) and use it within a couple of months.

Photobucket