Leftover Question

iVillage Member
Leftover Question
Thu, 01-17-2013 - 3:20pm

I have a question about using leftovers in another recipe, and how safe it is to eat it later on.  I used turkey leftover from Thanksgiving in a recipe this past Sunday.  The turkey was refrigerated for 3 days before I froze it, and we didn't finish the meal I made (turkey and noodles) so the leftovers have been in the refrigerator.  We weren't able to eat them within a few days, so I tossed the container into the freezer, but was wondering if it's still safe to eat?  I always thought that 3 days was the rule with poultry leftovers, wasn't sure if it made a difference if it's been reused.  

Does that make sense at all, lol?

Community Leader
Thu, 01-17-2013 - 7:35pm

I actually do that all the time.  Since the leftovers in the freezer were recooked in the second recipe, your "rule of 3" starts over.  

If you think about it, not too far back, meals were prepared in a pot that was left over the fire.  Next day, any leftovers still in the pot were simply added to and cooked again.  It didn't kill anyone.  Eggs were left room temperature then too.  We get way too phobic about food these days; partly due to our obsession with killing germs (thus hurting our own immune systems) and partly because processors have some pretty foul practices that they don't tell you about.  Like the Mexican spinach problem and the frankenchickens.  

You should be fine!  

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-18-2013 - 1:07pm
Thanks for your reply! Good to know that they aren't going to waste, they were too yummy for that.
Community Leader
Fri, 01-18-2013 - 5:34pm
I say if it smells ok its ok to eat...
<
Community Leader
Fri, 01-18-2013 - 8:06pm
LOL! Me too! We are SOOO old school, Wren!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-22-2013 - 12:48pm

wren53 wrote:
I say if it smells ok its ok to eat...

Oh gosh! My husband thinks as long as it's cooked, it'll last just about forever. He's always getting on my case for throwing things out.