London Broil

iVillage Member
London Broil
Thu, 01-20-2011 - 6:03pm

I got a good price on a big thick london broil.

~Misty~

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-31-2011 - 1:54pm

With my grandmother it's any kind of berries and cream.

~Misty~

Community Leader
Mon, 01-31-2011 - 12:50pm

You are so right, Misty, about the dishes connecting you to a person.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-30-2011 - 10:48pm
Sounds like SOS... my mom used to make that a lot, and we were never short on groceries when I was growing up. My mom loved to feed every and anyone who would stop by anytime close to dinner. My DH used to try and avoid our hour about that time, because she'd force him to sit and eat whether he was hungry or not!! LOL She was the only person who could make him eat veggies and thank her for them!!

My mom used to make something she called Macaroni Junk. Lots of macaroni noodles, tomatoes, hamburger and velveeda cheese. Talk about heartburn!! I don't make it much, but once in a while I do to remind me of my mom. I make 1/4 of her recipe, she always cooked for an army. Strange how foods connect you with a person or a time and can be comforting.

~Misty~

Community Leader
Mon, 01-24-2011 - 9:58pm

OMG, you bring back the memory of meals when we were on Relief....

FYI for all you youngsters, RELIEF was an early version of welfare.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-24-2011 - 12:13am
I'm not a big gravy fan, but I'd much rather have bread & gravy than potatoes & gravy, too.

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-24-2011 - 12:10am
Nothing wrong with milk shakes for dinner once in a while. I had a friend who used to take her kids to Baskin-Robbins for banana splits for dinner about once a month. I thought it was wrong back then, but now we do it once in a while (usually when we've had a big/late lunch). Great memories as a treat, not good on a daily or weekly basis!

Community Leader
Sun, 01-23-2011 - 8:48pm

Hey, I remember when I had 5 little kids and I would have been happy to have some trotters in the pan but we ended up with boxed mac and cheese...I never could stand that stuff and now I won't let it in the house......lol

My mom used to bake bread and my dad was the milk man so we had butter...but she would make white gravy and we would have bread butter with white gravy for supper.. I still think of the times when we had meatless meals....but then we also had canned veggies, everyone had a garden back then.....

To this day Del would rather have bread and gravy than potatoes and gravy....

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-23-2011 - 4:00pm

Oh yes, I also take a knife to big cuts of meat.

~Misty~

Community Leader
Sun, 01-23-2011 - 1:38pm

I knew I shouldn't have come in here before lunch......lol

If someone dumped a bunch of thick mean here London broil would only be one of the things to do with it.

There is no reason just because it is thick you can't take a knife to it....

I was in the store the other day and they had a whole pork tenderloin....very cheap. I got it out today, I am going to cut a couple pieces for marinated fried and then put in the oven chop type supper with mashed potatoes.

Then I can have a roast out of part of it, I might cube some for hash in the morning, Maybe make some soup out of part of it....I don't know I just love getting something that I can cook so many different ways. For the 2 of us I will proably have at the very least 6 meals.....that is unless company comes....lol....

Even though they say on tv that skirt beef or flat iron steak is very cheap, around here it is not. And most people in this part of the country wouldn't even have eaten it if it hadn't been for Food Network...isn't that strange?

I am not a fan of beef round...even when it is made tender by stewing mainly when I was younger that was the cheapest part of beef we could buy... now I can get tenderloin for not much more......just seems funny to me....how things change..

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-21-2011 - 6:43pm

AAhhh hah!!!

~Misty~

Pages