Making and freezing cupcakes

Community Leader
Making and freezing cupcakes
Tue, 06-03-2014 - 9:19am

Hi! I have my daughter's birthday coming up and wanted to make the cupcakes ahead of time, about 2-3 days prior, and freeze them. What would be the best way to do this? Then, once it's the day of the party, I'd like to ice them. The party is at 1:45. Can I frost them while frozen and then just let them defrost as the day goes? What would be the best time to take them out and get them ready? I'm using buttercream frosting if that matters in the scenario. It does have butter and cream cheese in it. 

Thanks, I appreciate any input. I always get confused with freezing and then adding buttercream into the mix. :)

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-03-2014 - 8:54pm

I would freeze the cupckes without frosting.  When you freeze frosted cupcakes, you have to leave room for the top (not touching anything) and they can take up a lot of freezer room.  Unfrosted ones, on the other hand, can be kept in a ziplock bag.

If you are only making them a few days ahead, buttercream stays good in the fridge for 4 - 5 days, so no need to freeze that.

Thawing time will depend on the size of your cupcakes (miniature or normal or giant) and the temperature of your kitchen.  In most cases a couple hours should be adequate.  How many cupcakes are you making?  You can start putting on buttercream before they are completely thawed; and if you have a lot of cupcakes to decorate, by the time you are done, they would be probably just right. 

Usually frosting with cream cheese requires refrigeration, but if the ambient temperature is not too warm and if the recipe contains a lot fo sugar, it can be left out for a little while.  On the other hand, since you are serving them at your daughter's birthday party (and I assume there will be kids), I would err on the safe side - better have slightly cold cupcakes than anyone getting sick.  When I cook for myself, I have a rather careless attitude since I have a cast iron stomach and strong immune system from having lived/worked in developing countries.  But I am super careful when cooking for the the very old and very young.

What flavor/kind are you making?  Have fun!

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-04-2014 - 2:06pm

Cupcakes should defrost within 30-45 minutes, so I would take them out, make your icing, then frost away. The coolness of them will help keep the frosting nice, too. :)

Community Leader
Thu, 06-05-2014 - 8:40am

Thanks! I wasn't thinking of frosting then freezing. I'd definitely have no place to store them! :)

I'm making vanilla cupcakes with vanilla frosting. Both from scratch. The frosting is a secret recipe (yes, I actually have a secret recipe that was given to me as long as I swore not to share it!) but the cupcake is this recipe: http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2011/09/ultimate-vanilla-cupcake-test-baked-by.html - the frosting also has vanilla beans in it. I'm not sure if I'll be putting vanilla beans in the frosting though. I want a nice colored frosting without speckles. I don't know if the color paste will hide the flecks. We're doing a Frozen theme so I'm wanting to do a blue/ice color. :) I'm still undecided on the tip I'll use to frost, though I'm leaning towards an extra large star so I can get an ice cream look to it. :) 

Community Leader
Mon, 06-23-2014 - 10:19pm

Freezing cake works, freezing frosting is not so good.  How did you do?

Photobucket