New to steeping tea

iVillage Member
New to steeping tea
Fri, 11-08-2013 - 8:00pm

Hi all,

I bought some loose tea leaves, Green tea Jade Citrus Mint.  It is tasting good and I am liking it but, I think I am using too much tea as I am making it.

The direction say to use 1  tsp per 1 cup water.  I boil the water and pour the water into the steeper and let it do its thing for a few mins whatever the reccomended time is. But it is too watery and has no taste.  

So when I try again another time I put more tea leaves in the steeper.  But it seems like I am putting way too many leaves in the steeper and am wasting a lot.  But I seem to like it stronger.

So, I guess my question is, is this whole tea making process just a matter of taste?  Or are the leaves maybe old ? 

I know that is no " law" on how many tea leaves you can use but I just don't want to waste anymore than I have to if I am doing something wrong.

Any advise ?  Thanks!!  

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-09-2013 - 12:13am
One TEASPOON is probably too little. I use at least a TABLESPOON (measuring spoon). You must leave it steep for at least 5 minutes, and finally, (IMHO) green tea looks like pee, and doesn't develop much flavor, no matter WHAT you do.
Community Leader
Mon, 11-11-2013 - 7:46pm
I love tea and I just add a little more of the leaves to get it to my taste.. Experiment is the key in this .. I also love tea.. * yes green tea is delicious but its does need more steeping .. It all depends on you and your taste buds..
<
Community Leader
Fri, 11-15-2013 - 7:59pm

If you have been drinking black tea (the common variety served in restaurants and brewed in most homes, AKA Lipton and Lousianne) the green tea is not going to ring your bell.  We associate tea with strength of flavor when we think about the commonly brewed tea, but green tea is a different animal.  I'll tell you how different.  It is all in the term "TEA".  

A tea is anything steeped in hot water.  Rose hips, cow manure, dandelion greens, fresh ginger, cucumbers...the list is endless.  None of them taste like tea, and even that manure tea should not be strong (you don't drink it, your plants do).  

I used to be a serious tea drinker, knocking out about 1 1/2 gallons of the iced stuff a day.  When I tried to get on the green tea band wagon, I was SORELY dissapointed for the same reason you are...where is the kick?  Where is the flavor?  I finally realized that green tea is just not something I want to love.  

My answer, if you want to pursue green tea, is not to use MORE tea; just steep it longer.  

My daughter is "addicted" to Chai teas, and she blends her own at home.  When I had to quit drinking tea with my acid reflux issues, I turned over the ancestral brass tea stainer to her (my grandmother's) because loose tea is the BEST.  

Welcome to the board!

Photobucket
Community Leader
Mon, 11-18-2013 - 10:14am
Tea is a great drink.. anyway..
<
Community Leader
Mon, 11-18-2013 - 10:16am
Kroni, Sorry to hear of your stomach issue...
<