New Year's Day food traditions?

Community Leader
New Year's Day food traditions?
Thu, 12-27-2012 - 7:44pm

Do you have a food tradition for New Year's Day?  My family always had a pretty rowdy block party New Year's Eve.  Mom didn't drink, so she and I were up EARLY on New Year's Day, with a 13 gallon washing machine tub on the stove, filling it with homemade vegetable beef soup.  We'd set out crackers, bread, and butter, and put on the HUGE electric percolator full of coffee, set out spoons, bowls, mugs...and Dad always rented 2 extra TV's so that the bowl games could be on all 3 channels.  As everyone woke up and got moving, the hung over neighbors would gradually come stumbling into the back door to get "the cure."  One tv would have low volume, the other 2 muted, and nary a word was spoken until everyone had enough soup and coffee to make their hair stop hurting.  

My tradition at the restaurants was the Hoppin' Johns.  People just expected them.  Blackeyed peas, cooked with ham hocks, served over rice with collard greens (also cooked with ham hocks).  My late boyfriend Danny (RIP, 12/02/05) got so excited about the Hoppin' Johns that he stopped at the store one year and found the blackeyed peas on sale for 10 cents a lb.  So he bought a dollar's worth.  LOL, I still have some of those peas.  Not really edible anymore, but if I can ever get my sewing machine set up I will make the grandkids some denim bean bags out of old jeans and blackeyed peas, so they can have a bean bag  game.  

For a few years, my "thing" was hot dogs on clothes hangers cooked in the fireplace with friends.  LOL, it was fun.  

What is your tradition?  

Photobucket
Community Leader
Mon, 12-31-2012 - 9:44am

Pork and kraut sounds good!  And who couldn't use a milk shake?  I like that idea.  

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 12-30-2012 - 4:07pm
It is German tradition to make sauerkraut and pork on New Year's Day to bring good luck to the new year. Though I make it different than my mother's, we still do it each year on the 1st. When I was little, I used to make my father milkshakes as the cure for when he woke up on New Year's Day, haha.

<

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-30-2012 - 3:06pm
Never did anything special when I was a kid for New Years, I do remember my parent's letting me "taste" the champagne or wine they were drinking. Now we never stay up until midnight, but this year we might be able to, we'll see. A lot of the time I just make a few finger foods that everyone can nibble on all day, I might do that this year. I'm thinking of making nacho's, make up some taco meat and make some homemade corn chips out of the four or five packages I have in my freezer. Kind of a taco bar, make your own kind of thing to make all the picky eaters in my house happy. New Year's Eve (tomorrow) I'm going to make a small ham. I gave the family choices of beef roast with au gratin potatoes, chicken long rice or ham and DD8 made it very clear she wanted ham...lol. So, ham it is. I'll probably make some homemade rolls to go with it tomorrow, and then mashed taters and gravy. Maybe green beans just for me, since no one else in the house will eat it.

~Misty~

Community Leader
Sat, 12-29-2012 - 3:15pm
Wow what a nice memory of your family get to gethers I myself do finger foods the night before and on the 1st we have a nice dinner .. IN the older days we did nothing for the holiday with a house of 12 it was to many thoughts on it..
<
iVillage Member
Sat, 12-29-2012 - 9:42am

My parents always did the Hoppin John thing with collard greens.   I never liked either so I passed.  

I have no New Year's Day food tradition.

photo BeachChairsRed.jpg