New York done did it...

Community Leader
New York done did it...
Sun, 09-16-2012 - 11:26am

New York has passed the law about the size of soft drinks.  You can't get anything larger than a 16 oz soda, so this is going to cure obesity?  No, here's where this is going to backfire, MARK MY WORDS.  

The price of a 24 oz soft drink will now be the price of a 16 oz soft drink.  Restaurateurs are not stupid; they will still make their margins.  And the customer will buy TWO, meaning he/she will get a 32 oz dose of soda.  Mission accomplished, New York?  I think NOT.  

What is wrong with this law is that government is trying to tell businessmen how to run their businesses, and government is trying to legislate what the consumer spends his/her disposable income on.  

It's wrong.  What are your thoughts?  

http://blog.fooducate.com/2012/09/15/ny-soft-drink-limitations-approved-an-important-first-step/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Fooducate+%28Fooducate%29

Photobucket
Community Leader
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 3:10pm
You are so right People will buy more and the business will make out so much better.... If they think this will help health issues that is a super mistake all the way around... I know for me I drink water so its not going to hurt me....
<
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 9:11am
I think its ridiculous that government is stepping in on something like this. Cracking down on the size of soda? Im sure we could name hundreds of things they could be cracking down on instead.

christinaaug26.jpg picture by freakytiki2

Visit

Community Leader
Sun, 09-16-2012 - 9:43pm

Once upon a time in 1983, Mississippi still had a blue law and I had a new restaurant.  Christmas was approaching, and we had revitalized the merchants' associations to try to get SOMETHING done about the ridiculous Sunday Blue laws.  

Essentially, the stores were not allowed to open, except grocers, who could only sell essential food items (no panty hose, no fuses, no foil roasting pans...).  My restaurant could be open but my bar could not.  Merchants were SCREAMING, the economy was worse than it is today...if you can imagine.  And Christmas sales were 50% of retail's annual income.  We needed Sunday $$$$.  

I started lobbying...if you can tell me what hours I can and can't run my cash register, then the state needs to pick up the tab for the rent, utilities and overhead for the hours that you forbid me to have income.  We went to the state capital.  The local law enforcement authorities went with us (after all, my biggest beer sales day WAS Sunday, out the back door to the cops who were off duty watching football).  

We reached a plan for the Christmas shopping season.  Everyone would open on Sunday and blow the doors out.  No sales barred.  The police chief and mayor said, "close by 6 p.m., we'll come book ya, and get you home in time to watch the football game."  We did it.  It caught on statewide.  

In 1984, there was no more Sunday Blue.  YAY!!!!  We still have restricted sales for alcohol by the drink before 1 p.m. and no liquor stores can be open, but everything else is wide open.  

Now think about it.  Alcohol is an impulse sale item and is heavily taxed.  Why doesn't the government want tax revenue on Sunday?  When most people are free to USE impulse dollars?  And especially in an area like mine, where hospitals and shipping are the main employers, and those industries work graveyard shift (IE Sunday morning is happy hour after Saturday night in ER or on Fed Ex hub)?  Why don't they want tax revenue after midnight and before 7 a.m.?  

And why do they not want sales tax revenue from gigantic soft drinks?  

BTW, I stopped to get a large diet soft drink at a drive through Checkers recently.  They passed me out a 48 oz cup that required two hands to lift.  Now think about it...it's a drive through...You don't have a 3 foot straw?  I have to pull over and put it in PARK to have a swig?  LOL!  

Let's shoot ourselves in the foot again, government.  

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-16-2012 - 7:05pm
I only drink diet, and only when I'm out and about and don't want iced tea.

But I'm with you ladies, people will drink or at what they want, regardless of what the government says. What about at home? Are they going to regulate what people can bring home too? It's just getting out of hand.

People should have to take some responsibility for themselves and their own families. My DD7 is allowed to drink one when we go to town, about once a month. And if i buy a 2 liter for her, she is only allowed one small glass a day until it's gone. I rarely buy more than one every 4-5 months. I still have DD4 convinced she doesn't like it! I had DD7 thinking that until my MIL gave her some.

It do think it's WAY beyond what the government should be getting into. Don't they have any other more important things to deal with?

~Misty~

Community Leader
Sun, 09-16-2012 - 5:39pm

I agree, Linda, businesses sell what people buy.  And people buy what they want to spend their money on.  Legislating the size of a soft drink (I don't partake either) is totally ridiculous.  

Photobucket
Community Leader
Sun, 09-16-2012 - 4:11pm

Smileycons!  No thoughts on this one.  I don't drink soda and I don't care.  It is not the restaurants that are getting people fat it is the people themselves who are getting themselves fat by how they eat.  Only the people themselves can cure obesity, unless it is a true medical problem.  People have choices.Smileycons!

Smileycons!

Photobucket