"Our" garden is getting started, lol

iVillage Member
"Our" garden is getting started, lol
Wed, 04-11-2012 - 5:47pm

Fred, the gentleman whom gardens the back part of our yard came over today with a friend of his from church to till the soil up, the friend has a small tractor which makes it much easier :) I love the smell of the fresh turned moist soil that is in that area of the yard. Of course its helped along by the horse manure and leaves and grass clippings that got put on the garden last fall :)

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-13-2012 - 10:07am

You could totally do something like that Misty!!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-12-2012 - 10:31pm
What an awesome story, Karen! We can't grow that kind of thing here, only lettuce, carrots, sugar peas, potatoes, rhubarb and onions. Everything else would have to be grown in an greenhouse. My mom ahd one and produced tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, garlic, and lots of cucumbers. I would die for a greenhouse now! DH is going to try and rig something up on the side of our storage shed this year, maybe use some plastic to make a redneck greenhouse for tomatoes, zucchini and cucmbers. I do have chives outside, they are up about 4 inches right now.

~Misty~

Community Leader
Thu, 04-12-2012 - 8:21pm

Have you ever heard of Polar Kraft boats?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-12-2012 - 3:10pm
Yes and yes :) We have close to 1/3 of an acre of land and he gardens the back part of the back yard, about an 80ft long 30ft wide section of yard. Last year, had the tomatoes grown, they all would have been mine to experiment with making my own spaghetti sauce, but they all had something weird going on with them. We do get some of the corn, potatoes and squash. We don't eat beans, so if he's growing those we don't. It all depends on what he's growing this year. He also has a smaller garden at his own house, and some fruit trees :)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-12-2012 - 1:16pm
keeyamah wrote:

Fred, the gentleman whom gardens the back part of our yard came over today with a friend of his from church to till the soil up, the friend has a small tractor which makes it much easier :) I love the smell of the fresh turned moist soil that is in that area of the yard. Of course its helped along by the horse manure and leaves and grass clippings that got put on the garden last fall :)

That's neat! So he just borrows part of your yard then? Do you get part of the produce?

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-12-2012 - 12:08pm
Our German Shepard likes to dig also, and he can really move some soil! Luckily, where we will have our garden this year, he won't have access.

We have to wait quitw a while more before we can plant, we get frost late into the season. DH is going to build a fence so the rabbits don't get it all. I'm looking forward to seeing what we can get to grow this year.

~Misty~

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-12-2012 - 9:23am
Yeah, Timmy was similar, we got him at around 9 months old, and he occasionally dug until he was about 2 which was when he stopped most of his puppy behavior anyways.
Photobucket
Community Leader
Wed, 04-11-2012 - 10:33pm

That's a cool idea; but he's so young and seems to be just randomly distracted.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-11-2012 - 9:06pm
It might help if you can get a kiddie pool (or designate an area in the yard) that is filled and is ok for him to dig in. Help him know by putting some half-buried toys and treats in there and any time you catch him digging elsewhere, tell him no and take him to his spot. I've never had to do it myself, our lab mix outgrew digging, but its one of the more successful things I've heard of.
Photobucket
Community Leader
Wed, 04-11-2012 - 8:06pm

YAY!

Photobucket