Pizza Stone?

iVillage Member
Pizza Stone?
Sun, 02-12-2012 - 5:11pm

...well the lack of one. I was looking through recipes on cooks country and want to try thier St.Louis style pizza. They say to use a pizza stone, OR an inverted baking pan. Has anyone tried using the inverted pan? Im going to give it a shot and hope it goes well. But I was just wondering. I love looking at the cooks country site, but get frustrated because there are so many that I cant view because Im not a paying member. Oh well. At least I can see some, lol.

So yeah...just curious.

christinaaug26.jpg picture by freakytiki2

Visit

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-13-2012 - 1:51pm
That is a pretty good deal. Im saving the link. If its still on sale next month I will probably go for it. This month, the budget is already stretched. Until you posted the link, honestly, I had no idea what they even looked like, lol.

Visit

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-13-2012 - 2:04pm
lol about the recipe. I started dvr-ing all of the cooks country and americas test kitchen episodes. That pizza looked so good. today though when I went to the store and for the cheese, I couldnt find white american cheese. So I went back to mozz. I guess I will just try it with the monterey jack and mozz combo rather than with the white american cheese.

I still plan on trying the baking sheet method. I will probably use the bigger commercial type sheet I have since it will probably hold the heat better. If it didnt somewhat work, then cooks country wouldnt have suggested it. It may not be *as* good as with the stone, but I dont have one so I dont know the difference, lol! Oh I hope it works. Im getting excited for crunchy pizza.
One of these days, I want a HUGE kitchen with a boatload of storage space so that I can have all of the kitchen gadgets I could ever want! Every year for birthday and Christmas, there is always at least 1 kitchen gadget I ask for.
We are in the slow process of moving. The 'new' house's kitchen is much smaller that what I have now. Half the counter/cabinet space. Scares me a bit, but whatcha gonna do? ...hmm seems that I have gone off on a bit of a tangent.
Thanks ladies. When I get around to making it this week, I will post back and let you all know how it worked out.

Visit

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-13-2012 - 2:06pm
In th recipe, they are just using parchment to get it in and out of the oven. Im going to try that this time and see how it goes, lol.

Visit

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-13-2012 - 2:44pm
That is a great deal Misty!

I have a large baking stone that I use for bread. Once in awhile I use it for pizza, but DH likes his to be cooked right on the oven rack. It's great for bread though. I also noticed at a Christmas party that the hostess used hers to cook some appetizers on. Things like mini quiches.
Photobucket

Community Leader
Mon, 02-13-2012 - 3:11pm

Small kitchen...cabinet space...I hear ya!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-13-2012 - 3:35pm
I could never imagine getting rid of a kitchen item! lol

Visit

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-13-2012 - 10:51pm
Find yourself a PC consultant & earn yourself some free stuff, that's how I got mine!! I use my bar pans all the time for wings. I have a loaf pan that I haven't used much...I should make a loaf of something!

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-14-2012 - 11:59am
A firend of mine was a PC consultant, but she recently stopped darn it!! LOL

~Misty~

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-14-2012 - 6:48pm
That is one thing I've considered actually selling. I've had people try to talk me into selling, Avon, Tupperware, stamping & scrapping stuff, but I wouldn't be good at those, PC I could do!! Good way to get free stuff, too!

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-15-2012 - 6:04pm
Ok. Just made it. It actually worked fairly well I think. Like I said, I dont know what its like with an actual stone. But pretty dang good!
The second pizza baked a little crisper. I need to remember to let that pan heat up longer. In the recipe itself, something seemed 'off' about the sauce. Not sure what was off, but it needs something I think.
It was: 8 oz tomato sauce
3 tbs tomato paste
2 tbs sugar
2 tbs fresh basil, chopped
2 tsp dried oregano

I didnt have fresh basil, but had dried. I used only 1 tablespoon of that. Maybe thats the off taste? Maybe it was too much dried basil? I dont know what the conversion is from fresh to dry.

Visit