Pork butt roast in the oven

Community Leader
Pork butt roast in the oven
Thu, 04-04-2013 - 12:50pm

Recently I cashed in on a deal on a pork butt, but keeping in mind that I cook for one, I cut it into three pieces.  Today I got the last piece of it out and seasoned it up for roasting.  In my roasting pan, 2 celery ribs and 1/2 onion are making a rack.  Garlic salt, pepper, and rosemary sprigs are on top.  It is roasting at 325.  I will add new potatoes and carrots after it cooks for a while.  I'm hoping it turns out good!  More later!

Photobucket
Community Leader
Wed, 04-17-2013 - 11:34am
I hear you there with cooking for one.. I have a family of 4 .. I am use to cook for a restaurant myself plus came from a family of 12 so cooking for a large gang is fun, the more the merrier but as one ages we kinda get lost when it comes to cooking and baking... I now cook and give it a way to people when I have plenty made up.. . Hard to cut back with the small size family..
<
Community Leader
Thu, 04-11-2013 - 7:37pm

I have a horrible time cooking for one.  Remember, I'm used to cooking for 50 or more.  I buy large cuts of meat on sale, but I break them down into small roasts, steaks, and ground meat.  I have a professional electric grinder and a meat slicer, that helps.  

Since I cook whole foods, it is a little easier to put on a few small pots of vegetables or oven roast a handful of veggies.  Then I can add a grilled meat.  If I have leftovers, sometimes I freeze them but mostly I package them up for my lunchbox.  I enjoy having home cooked lunches.  The problem is when I start to cook stews, chili, soups, casseroles, etc.  They get big, too big.  

Since I love salads and fresh fruits and veggies, sometimes I chop leftover chicken or ham to top a salad for lunch.  I also pack up shrimp to top salads.  I try to keep a bag of salad at work, as well as cheese and crackers.  I stop for fruit on my way to work about every other day, and pick up fresh tomatoes as well.  

This weekend I am going to try to make lasagna for less than an army.  Wish me luck!  

Photobucket
Community Leader
Wed, 04-10-2013 - 9:04pm
Karen I am wondering here about cooking for one.. I just don't know how I will handle this one cooking for one.. I have 4 to cook for and enjoy ever minute of it.. Just not so sure how to cook for one.. * do you have any 2 cents on it I would like to hear from you on it.. Do you freeze the leftovers or do you just fix for one..
<
Community Leader
Wed, 04-10-2013 - 9:01pm
Nice!!!
<
Community Leader
Fri, 04-05-2013 - 1:28pm

It WAS delicious!  I made a buttery white wine reduction sauce and the crust on the pork was nice.  Laughing 

Photobucket
Community Leader
Thu, 04-04-2013 - 4:27pm

sounds delicious  Karen.

<