Prom Night! Good grief!

Community Leader
Prom Night! Good grief!
Sat, 04-28-2012 - 1:15am

I made plans with a friend to go to a Mexican restaurant in Memphis tonight.

Photobucket
Community Leader
Sat, 04-28-2012 - 11:14pm
OMG, you had illegal stuff!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-28-2012 - 10:51pm
I went to my freshman prom, had to drive 1 1/2 hours with my niece and her date. The dancewas dead because everyone else had gone to other parties, so we drove home, another 1 1/2 hours, a bust for sure.

My three remaining high school years I was with my current Dh, he was over 21, so he wasn't allowed in. We spent those prom nights at my house watching TV with my parents...lol.

~Misty~

Community Leader
Sat, 04-28-2012 - 7:59pm

A big letdown, huh?  I think that is what most people remember.  

I was managing the Bradford House Restaurant in the W.T. Grant's at the time.  Prom was Friday night and there was NO WAY I could take off work on All-You-Can-Eat fish night.  It was always packed, line at the door, and...my responsibility.  So I went to work with my hair and face done for prom, then dashed home at closing time (10:00) and took a spit bath.  I threw my gown on, did not have time to pack an appropriate bag, so I was carrying a ragged every-day purse in worn out suede.  We got to the prom at 11:00 so we missed half of it.  And I probably smelled like fried fish.  

Fortunately my date and I had been an "item" for about 7 months.  I had a friend in town who had gone to school with us but moved away, so I set her up on a blind date with the restaurant's dishwasher.  It was a riot, to say the least.  I was impressed that the dishwasher was clean, suited, and ready to go by the time we got over to pick him up.  He was almost as good at quick change as I was! 

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-28-2012 - 7:38pm

I graduated from high school in June, 1964, having just turned 17 that March.  It was an all-academic, college prep, all-girls magnet school.  We didn't have a normal high-school social life.  And we had to ask the guys, obviously.  I asked an older guy I barely knew.  He was good looking, came from a money family, and drove a Volvo sportscar.  I bought a pink satin floor-length dress with a beaded bodice in the garment district.  It was lovely and appropriate.  I do not remember what we paid for it.

The prom, itself, was one of the big letdowns of my life.  I was too nervous to eat anything at dinner.  My date was a gentleman and was patient, but I don't think he enjoyed himself or liked me, either.  I never went out with him again.