Question about cooking chicken in a crock pot (bones)

iVillage Member
Question about cooking chicken in a crock pot (bones)
Thu, 03-03-2011 - 2:52pm

I love seeing this at the top of the board each time I come here; it makes me feel less silly about my questions!

"If you're a fledgling cook, don't be embarrassed about your lack of culinary skills..."

So...I am making this curry chicken right now in the crock pot. It's been in for about 3 hours and the meat is getting tender. By the time it's ready I expect it to be falling off the bone. Do I pull it all apart and try to fish out all of the bones? Or just leave them in and make sure everyone knows there are bones in the food? Seems like a silly question, but I'm not quite sure which to do.

Photobucket

Community Leader

Well I

<
Community Leader

Sorry to be tardy, I hope I am not too late!

Photobucket
Community Leader
Questions posted here are NOT silly...LOL!
Photobucket
Community Leader

It's my turn to ask questions.

Photobucket
Community Leader

I knew a lady that used to take a sheet of cheese cloth and put the chicken in it so when it was done she could just lift it out, guess that would take care of the bones, I think she did it because she used to put herbs and onions and lemons in her whole chicken and didn't want it to fall out but maybe it was because of the bones..

About the skin.....I always pull it off after I cook it.....but to make it easier to look at my DMIL used to put Kitchen Bouquet on it while it was cooking. Some people put paprika or other spices on it. I guess if you wanted to dirty more dishes you could get it out and stick it under broiler for a minute....

I know, LOL, you need a kitchen torch like they use for browning the top of marshallows or whatever.....lol.....

iVillage Member
Thank you Wren & Karen!

I was cooking chicken thighs and, while very tender, the meat wasn't as falling-off-the-bone as I thought it would be, so I left it on. I was really disappointed in the flavor though. With all the onion, garlic and curry seasoning the smell was phenomenal. The flavor was okay, but very mild and just a bit "blah". If I was to do it again, I would definitely remove the chicken from the bone and let it sit in pieces in the sauce for a bit longer. That said, I don't think I'd ever do it with chicken thighs again. Maybe chicken breasts, then shred them part way through?

Thanks again!
Photobucket

iVillage Member
That was one of the other issues I had with the thighs. I ended up pulling the nasty skin off, which is probably where some of the flavor disappeared to!
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Oh I like the cheesecloth idea. That's a great tip!
Photobucket

Community Leader

I think the blah factor with crock pots is the reason I don't like using them to cook in. When I make a roast on the top of the stove I sear the heck out of it then I used to put in water but now I use beef stock, the veggies and put it in the oven and it works out fine but it was just not the same in the old crock......Maybe I should get a new one and try it....The ones I have are over (way over) 20 years old...and it just might be me but sometimes I think that the temps aren't not as true as they could be when newer.....same with ovens......

Community Leader

Janet, I sear my roast in the skillet before I put it in the crock.

Photobucket