Question about pre-soaking dry beans

iVillage Member
Question about pre-soaking dry beans
Wed, 03-23-2011 - 9:45am

Hi! I don't know if this is even done, but I am curious about soaking dry beans. We are using more dry beans as a source of cheap protein. I used to buy all of my beans (kidney beans, black beans, etc.) in cans, but have been buying them now dry. This works well for the most part, but sometimes I don't have time to soak them. I do the quick soak method sometimes, but I'm curious if you can pre-soak beans and then keep them in the fridge for a few days? I am trying to a do

Tracy
Community Leader
Wed, 03-23-2011 - 10:49am
I myself pre soak them over night in a pan of water then I rinse them and cook them as I like them to be.. I have heard that some add some baking soda to the water to help with the gas problem BUT I dont..
I also use canned beans when in a hurry but the dry ones are much better
than all the salt in the can. Yes I have even froze the beans after I have soaked them... Just put them in containers and placed a plastic on top of them so the air won't get to them..
Kroni will be here with her tips also..
<
Community Leader
Wed, 03-23-2011 - 2:09pm

HMMM...I never thought about presoaking and holding them to cook at a later date.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-29-2011 - 10:44am
Thanks for your tips. Sometimes I do use a pressure cooker to cook them faster, but would like to also have some available to just toss in quick recipes. Sounds like I may need to just have a few canned types for this use.
Tracy
Community Leader
Tue, 03-29-2011 - 7:18pm

Yep, as much as I object to canned foods, canned beans are one of them that is unavoidable sometimes.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-30-2011 - 8:06am

I don't do the over night soak most times