Question on cheese in soup?

iVillage Member
Question on cheese in soup?
Mon, 11-15-2010 - 2:52pm

Hi Karen and all --

I love making soup and potato (or rather, loaded baked potato!) soup is one of my daughter's favorites. I usually kind of wing it (with guidance from various recipes) and it turns out quite tasty, but the last time I made it, had a bit of a problem adding the cheese in. I use grated sharp cheddar cheese and when I added the cheese at the end, it sort of separated and didn't blend in smoothly. Is there a trick to this or am I going to have to make a separate cheese sauce by melting the cheese in milk in a separate pan and then stir in? I've seen different directions in different recipes, but am looking for some real-world guidance on the best approach.

Caryn D. Stein
Director of Community, iVillage.com | Contact Us
Community Leader
Mon, 11-15-2010 - 8:11pm

I have a couple of questions...are you using the packaged shredded cheese or grating your own?

Photobucket
Community Leader
Tue, 11-16-2010 - 3:51pm

I heard Alton Brown the other day make soup and was going to add cheese....he said add cheddar not Sharp cheddar our you will be sorry......lol.....so I would suppose you found out why...lol

I remember one year we were one the parents that had to be at the post prom party, one lady was going to make nachos, and she brought sharp cheddar and some hot peppers to put in it.....She put it in a double boiler on the stove added the seasoning and by the time we gave up on it,,,well think about hot plastic that you sat in oil.......

I had 5# package of sliced American cheese at home ( my DH drove a milk truck) we went and got that melted it on the stove with the seasonings and it was wonderful......

Community Leader
Tue, 11-16-2010 - 8:44pm

OH, that is funny about the cheese!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-17-2010 - 12:09pm

Thanks ladies -- that makes sense. Come to think of it, the last time I made this I think I had medium cheddar, so

Caryn D. Stein
Director of Community, iVillage.com | Contact Us
Community Leader
Wed, 11-17-2010 - 7:41pm
I will post some! My fav was Wisconsin Cheddar, but my customers liked broccoli cheddar soup and potato cheese soup. I was also partial to tomato florentine, but my customers weren't too thrilled with it!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-17-2010 - 10:16pm

dh and I don't like our cheese sharp, so I always buy mild or medium. While we were

in Boston we stopped by a natural foods store, and they had samples of white cheddar

out so we had to try it.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-17-2010 - 11:18pm

This is the one we really like. I always substitute mild or medium cheddar for the

Monterey Jack cheese. And I have never used sharp. You can substitute 6 cups

cooked beans for the dry ones.

Photobucket