The question on crock-pot ground beef got me wondering

iVillage Member
The question on crock-pot ground beef got me wondering
Sat, 12-18-2010 - 10:28am

I always season my meat as it is browning, my SIL always seasons it after it is browned. Does when you add the seasonings make any difference to how the meat tastes?

Photobucket
iVillage Member

I always season mine when I brown it -- the flavor is cooked into the meat that way.

Community Leader

Both. You want the flavors to cook in, but when you drain the fat off of the meat, you may drain away flavor too.

Photobucket
Community Leader

Just on the side, I made some lasagna with ground beef from the store last week.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

I have never ground my own beef, but I have been wanting to...I just need to find my meat grinder.

iVillage Member
Hmm, thanks. I usually brown my meat in a, I wanna call it a double boiler, its a part of my cookware. It allows the fat to drain off as it is being cooked. I've also learned to "over season" my meat, to make up for not adding any salt as I cook. Fools the husband, although I still hate the fact that he will add salt before he tastes it.
Photobucket
Community Leader
you must be doing right!
Photobucket
Community Leader
Once you grind your own, you will get spoiled!
Photobucket
Community Leader

When my store wouldn't or didn't have the homemade country style sausage all the time I bought pork tenderloin and a fater roast and ground them and seasoned my own turned out pretty good......I just used the food processor.....

Bad thing? I just dumped seasonings in next time I knew what I used just not how much so every time I make it is different....

LOL

Community Leader
OH, that is how I cook too! I make a new dish EVERY TIME!
Photobucket