Questions

Community Leader
Questions
Tue, 11-16-2010 - 3:57pm

I have said this before I watch a lot of Food Network on tv.

Love Everyday Italian. There are 2 things that I wondered about.

One is Prosciutto I have seen it in the store and it is very expencive. Is it like a very thin dryer deli ham? Or is it different? Could a deli ham be used instead?

And the other is Pancetta. They say it is uncured bacon.....isn't that fresh side meat? That is what we called uncured ham....I have to walk fast away from it beause Del grew up on that kind of stuff and we just shouldn't have it anymore.

But the same thing, it is very expencive wouldn't fresh side be the same thing or do the italians do something different to it?
Thanks

Pages

Community Leader
In reply to: emty_nstr
Tue, 11-16-2010 - 9:30pm

You are pretty much all over it!

Photobucket
Community Leader
Tue, 11-16-2010 - 9:33pm

Here's a tip...if you don't have a meat slicer, get to know your butcher.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-17-2010 - 11:37am

Having lived in Italy for a few years, I really appreciate prosciutto & pancetta. It is worth the splurge to me to get the real thing.

Community Leader
Wed, 11-17-2010 - 5:46pm

I made the fig stuffed with goat cheese and wrapped in deli ham and I just wondered it wouldn't be even better with the real thing. One of these days I am going to give it a try.

We have a hard time getting the good figs around here...what we get are so small hardly able to stuff them at all.

Thanks.

Community Leader
Wed, 11-17-2010 - 5:54pm

I know things are different all over but.. while we have a hard time (getting easier now though) finding things in our smaller stores, or even Walmart Super Store.lol....Like Saffron

But when it comes to regular meat... I can buy a NYstrip steak for not much more than stew meat...or round steak..... And even beef filet.....I bought it a while back to try because I have never tried to fix it myself. That was what I usually ate when we went out wrapped in bacon......I did the same thing and didn't try to get it done clear through, something I never would have done years ago....and I know it is a silly thing to say but it was like butter......I almost swoon thinking that I made that myself. And with the 2 of us.....the whole loin which will give us many steaks and a roast was like $4.49 #. We eat so much better or more expencive than we did when the kids were home.

I used to ask the kids.....Hamburger or steak........and 5 time echo I would hear....HAMBURGER.....lol....Lucky wasn't I......lol

Thanks

Community Leader
Wed, 11-17-2010 - 7:22pm
My daughter picks figs at her MIL's house, and she made the figs and goat cheese with prosciutto one day. I wasn't THAT wowed with the it; it was kinda tough. Maybe she just bought a cheap imitation; I did not see the package.
Photobucket
Community Leader
Wed, 11-17-2010 - 7:25pm
I bet you appreciate really good olives, too, Jaielyn!
Photobucket
Community Leader
Wed, 11-17-2010 - 7:30pm

I didn't know what a real steak was, until I went to work in a fancy supper club.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-18-2010 - 1:50am

I didn't like steak growing up 'cuz it was always chuck steak, usually broiled, sometimes grilled or pan fried.

Community Leader
Thu, 11-18-2010 - 10:58pm

The cut makes such a huge difference!

Photobucket

Pages