Quick question

iVillage Member
Quick question
Mon, 11-15-2010 - 10:29am

I found a recipe for tequilla lime chicken. Im so anxious to try it, sounds so good! So here's my dumb question. You are supposed to marinade the chicken in a mix including tequilla. Once you cook the chicken the alcohol cooks out right? I *plan* on feeding it to the kids too, so if it doesnt cook out TOTALLY then I wont use the tequilla. Just a little paranoid, especially with the 10 month old.

christinaaug26.jpg picture by freakytiki2

Visit

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-15-2010 - 2:37pm

Hi there -- Yes, the alcohol should cook off during the baking/grilling process (not sure how you are cooking the chicken). That said, if you are concerned, you can probably omit the tequila without much impact on the recipe, I imagine a lot of the flavor is coming from the lime, but others can chime in. I recently had shrimp flavored with tequila, and you couldn't really detect the flavor.

Caryn D. Stein
Director of Community, iVillage.com | Contact Us
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-15-2010 - 3:24pm
I will be cooking it in the fryin pan. It calls for grilling, but Im not standing my happy butt out in the cold rain to grill. I looked online and cant seem to find anything about the alcohol in a marinade. Thanks!

Visit

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-15-2010 - 4:09pm
If I remember correctly, the alcohol doesn't cook off COMPLETELY, but the majority of it does. Don't ask me where I read/heard/saw that, cause I can't remember, sorry :/
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-15-2010 - 4:41pm
Interesting -- thanks keeyamah! For me, I'd rather save the tequila for a nice margarita anyway ;)
Caryn D. Stein
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-15-2010 - 4:54pm

After doing a little digging, it seems like keeyamah is right -- some alcohol can remain but the exact amounts (trace to a good proportion) are a little fuzzy. It sounds like it mostly depends on the type and amount of alcohol used and the cooking method/time. I found this interesting article from NPR that talks a bit more about this and about using alcohol in cooking in general:

Caryn D. Stein
Community Leader
Mon, 11-15-2010 - 7:50pm

To be honest, the jury is still out on whether alcohol cooks away.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-16-2010 - 7:13am
Thank you all sooooo much. I saw that table while I was looking for an answer, but I wasnt sure how it worked with a marinade. Thank you for all of your advice. Thanks for that website at well. I think I am going to hold a small peice of chicken out of the marinade for the 10 month old and the rest of us will be fine with the recipe.

Visit

Community Leader
Tue, 11-16-2010 - 9:40pm
That is generally my solution for ANY recipe that calls for a questionable ingredient...hold out a little for the baby. I hope you LOVE that chicken!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-17-2010 - 7:28am
It was pretty good. I feel like it was missing a little flavor, but that was probably my fault for not grilling it. I also didnt have a jalapeno, so just used crushed red pepper flakes. But it was still pretty good, and I would make it again! Thanks for helping me with myquestion

Visit

Community Leader
Wed, 11-17-2010 - 7:50pm
the jalapeno WILL make a difference, and you might try cooking it under the broiler. A broiler is a grill, upside down!
Photobucket

Pages