Quinoa?!

Community Leader
Quinoa?!
Mon, 03-31-2014 - 3:23pm

Tracy mentioned quinoa in an asparagus recipe. I've been meaning to try it; how do you guys make it? 

I've also read that you need to rinse it first. Yes? Also, and probably the most important, what does it taste like? Similar to rice? That's what I've got in my head at least, lol.

Pages

Community Leader
In reply to: wren53
Mon, 04-07-2014 - 7:41pm
Just didn't see that "rinsing" on the box of it.. I just did the package directions.. I made it and didn't rinse it and it was ok for me to eat.. * what I thought was it was different from other things I have eaten in the past... I love it like barley but smaller in size.. ELC 11 thanks for the heads up on rinsing ..
<
Community Leader
In reply to: ubergeek
Tue, 04-08-2014 - 10:51am

Thanks, everyone! I actually bought a cereal over the weekend that contains quinoa and there was nothing I hated about the cereal soooo... *fingers crossed* :) I'm going food shopping today and am going to pick some up and try a few of the recipes.

Community Leader
In reply to: k_roni
Tue, 04-08-2014 - 7:47pm

I was reading up on quinoa this past week, I have not tried it yet but have been reading wonderful recipes for years.  It's a grain, like rice, and I will be looking for it at Kroger.  I have not seen it yet (this is Mississippi, progress might get here in about 200 years).  

I actually experiment a lot when I can find ingredients that are new to me.  A new grain won't hurt my feelings a bit!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
In reply to: malea11
Mon, 04-28-2014 - 8:28pm
I have a recipe that you use with salmon and make them into Salmon Quinoa patties. I haven't had a chance to make it yet but it sounds really good.

Malea

Looking to work from home ? Ask me how :

www.askmalea.com

Pages