Ratatouille?

iVillage Member
Ratatouille?
Tue, 03-25-2014 - 1:58pm

Hi everyone. :)

For a long time now I've been wanting to make ratatouille. Anyone have any suggestions? A recipe they've made? I'm seeing different variations as well as crock-pot versions. Any help would be great! 

Community Leader
In reply to: imawhoot
Tue, 03-25-2014 - 7:45pm

AHHH, the penultimate summer vegetable celebration.  The vegetables in ratatouille don't change much, but the techniques of getting it there do.  I like this recipe, you don't need to pay attenion to the measurements as much as the technique of carmelizing each vegetable separately and deglazing the pot between.  

http://www.thekitchn.com/one-pot-recipe-easy-french-ratatouille-recipes-from-the-kitchn-106669

Photobucket
Community Leader
Tue, 03-25-2014 - 7:53pm

I have never made that.  It has eggplant in it doesn't it?

Photobucket

Community Leader
In reply to: k_roni
Tue, 03-25-2014 - 8:06pm
Yes, eggplant, tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, zucchini, garlic...the whole garden!
Photobucket
Community Leader
In reply to: k_roni
Tue, 03-25-2014 - 8:14pm

When I had a big garden at my last house (lots of acreage), I attmepted ratatouille one day.  I carmelized all of my veggies, had this awesome aroma in the kitchen, it was simmering away in my electric pot when the doorbell rang.  Some sweet lady had broken down in front of my house and I felt compelled to help her.  I began to worry about my pot, and by the time I got back in, it was too late.  Burnt ratatouille.  

OH WELL, it can be done again.  

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2014 - 9:40am

I have never in my life heard of it. I don't know if I have even eaten it. Now I am curious, can you describe it?

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2014 - 10:21am

A recipe with an interesting write-up:

http://www.salon.com/2010/08/07/ratatouille_weapons_grade_style/

And I agree with the author 100% - the recipe can be adjusted to suit your taste and what you have on hand.  But I do insist on getting the freshest, most in-season and flavorful vegetables you can!

I love putting the leftover on bruschetta or as filling for omlettes.  Tongue Out

Administrator
Wed, 03-26-2014 - 1:33pm

I'm so happy this was brought up because it's something I've always had on my backburner to make and I always forget about it when the time comes. They recently opened a farmers market down the street from us and the veggie choices are outstanding. I'm definitely going to make this when it starts to get a bit warmer — you know, when we don't have snow falling like we did last night. Argh. :)

Erin
Community Technical Assistant | Community Moderator
iVillage.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2014 - 3:29pm

Wow, even if I wasn't looking for how to make it, that description in the article would make me want to make it!

"The vegetables melt into each other, turning silky and completely tender, while the thyme and garlic infuse every corner of the pot."

Thanks so much!

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2014 - 3:33pm

demontespan wrote:

A recipe with an interesting write-up:

http://www.salon.com/2010/08/07/ratatouille_weapons_grade_style/

And I agree with the author 100% - the recipe can be adjusted to suit your taste and what you have on hand. But I do insist on getting the freshest, most in-season and flavorful vegetables you can!

I love putting the leftover on bruschetta or as filling for omlettes. Tongue Out

Thank you! That recipe sounds awesome as well! I can't wait to hit up the farmer's market!!

Community Leader
In reply to: ubergeek
Thu, 03-27-2014 - 12:21pm

k_roni wrote:

When I had a big garden at my last house (lots of acreage), I attmepted ratatouille one day. I carmelized all of my veggies, had this awesome aroma in the kitchen, it was simmering away in my electric pot when the doorbell rang. Some sweet lady had broken down in front of my house and I felt compelled to help her. I began to worry about my pot, and by the time I got back in, it was too late. Burnt ratatouille.

OH WELL, i can be done again.

Oh no! LOL 

When do you recomment the best time to make this? I'm going to have to look up the veggies schedule for my area for when they are the best. We've been trying to incorporate squashes and eggplant et al., into our dinners. This would be great!!