Recipe book as a gift

iVillage Member
Recipe book as a gift
Mon, 08-04-2014 - 8:51am

My neice is getting married and the theme for one of her bridal showers is "In the Kitchen". It seems like it's been years since I've seen anyone do this at a bridal shower and I'd like to get her a few nice recipe books. Does anyone have a favorite they can recommend?  

Nancy
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-04-2014 - 10:05am

Even tho I get most of my recipies from websites these days, I STILL have my collection of well used and loved cookbooks.  The books I would recommend are: The Joy of Cooking by Irma Rombauer, James Beard's American Cookery,  The New York TImes Cookbook by Craig Claiborne, The Betty Crocker Cookbook and The Frugal Gourmet by Jeff Smith.  The Frugal Gourmet may be out of print, but you can still get it on Amazon.

Administrator
Mon, 08-04-2014 - 3:23pm

My absolute go to is still the one my mom gave me when I got married! It's this one (but mine is an older version): http://www.amazon.com/Better-Homes-Gardens-Cook-Book/dp/0470560770

Something else as a suggestion - my mom gave myself and my two sisters each a blank cookbook but also added in recipes that we each loved growing up that she had compiled and used to make for us. Something similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/Homemade-Recipes-Editors-Publications-International/dp/1412776813/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1407180138&sr=8-10&keywords=recipe+binder - I love that she hand wrote them, rather than printing them via the computer. More personal and highly treasured. :)

Erin
Community Technical Assistant | Community Moderator
iVillage.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-06-2014 - 9:24am

Thank you both very much for the suggestions!

Nancy
Community Leader
Mon, 08-11-2014 - 2:50pm

The better homes and gardens and the betty crocker ones are also some of my go to recipe books.  I might also suggest a crock pot book, and maybe a crock pot, depending on if you think she may get one already.  I am working on a recipe book of family recipes and favorite dishes for my daughter for her first apartment at college this fall.  If you had the time, you could also always collect family recipes and put them into a book for her.

Photobucket