Rye

iVillage Member
Rye
Fri, 08-10-2012 - 8:40am

Has anyone made rye bread? Im wanting to try a loaf, but the recipes I am seeing are varying by so much, I havent been able to settle on a simple recipe to start with. And who knows,I may not be able to find rye flour in my grocery, but Id still like to try. Any recipes or tips?

christinaaug26.jpg picture by freakytiki2

Visit

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: momtodylan2006
Sun, 08-12-2012 - 9:18am

Rye bread are common here and we have many ways of making them, everything from pure rye, which is the hardest to  mixed flour loafs which are the easiest.  This is a simple recipe.

Scalded rye  loaf.

1 cup rye flour

1½ cup scalding hot

Pour the  rye into to a bowl. Stir water and rye  into a porridge and leave to cool to tepid.

Wheat dough

2 cup of  tepid water

1 tablespoon dry active yeast

2 cups o bread f flour

2 teaspoon of salt

1 tablespoon of molasses.

Plus about 5 cups more of  bread  flour

In a separate  bowl whisk this together.  Now mix  the rye porridge and wheat dough together in a larger bowl , use a wooden spoon or your hands.   Now work in more flour until you have elastic  and firm dough. Flour differs from country to country, it hard to know exactly how much you need for it.  Cover  and leave to rise to double  the size it takes 1- 2 hours.

Pour out the dough on a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes. Form into 1 large loaf or two small ones.  Leave to  rise for 30 min.   While I the loafs are rising  heat up the oven to 400F, bake for 40 minutes until the loafs sounds hollow when tapped on.

Sorry the crappy English it hard to translate this recipe because I know it in old Swedish.

Community Leader
In reply to: k_roni
Sun, 08-12-2012 - 11:30am

Thanks Hanna!  I don't know where to buy the flour but I have a mill now so I mill my own.  I buy the rye at Whole Foods or online.  I don't like a whole lot added into the bread, just keep it simple.  

Photobucket
iVillage Member
In reply to: misstrygg
Sun, 08-12-2012 - 3:27pm
Danish  ryebread Ingredients

Scalding day  1:

• 1 cup + 2 tablespoon of water
  • 150 gram coarse rye flour
  • 100 gram sunflowers seeds
  • 30 gram flax seed
  • 2 teaspoon salt

day 2:

• 50 g fresh yeast or 2 tablespoon of dry active yeast
  • 1 cup + 2 tablespoon of water
  • 340 gram of coarse rye flour
  • 150 gram of  dark molasses or treacle.
  • 150 gram of bread flour.
How to bake:

Day 1:

1. Boil the water,  place the ingredients in a bowl and pour over the water and stir, cover and leave over night in room temperature. 

Dag 2:

1. Add the water, to the  bowl and stir, add the rest the ingredents and stir for 20 minutes until it becomes a porridge, you can do this on low speed in a machine if you want to. Cover with plastic and leave to rise for 2 hours.
  2. Take 2 loaf tins and grease them up with butter.   Pour in as much dough that is needed to fill 3/4  of the tin.  Leave to rise for 30 minutes under plastic.   Heat up your oven to  480 F,  place a  tray with   5  cup water,  this has to be in the oven while  the bread is baking so beware of the steam when you are opening the oven door.
  3. Place the  the loaf tin on  a oven rack and place in the oven, turn down the heat to 350 F.
  4. Bake for 60 minutes.   Remove the bread from the tins and leave to cool to on a wire rack. 
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-13-2012 - 8:50am
Thank you for the recipes! I appreciate you taking the time to type it up!! I found rye flour at our store, so I am going to give it a go within the next week. The oldest starts kindergarten, so I should have a bit of time.

Visit

iVillage Member
In reply to: misstrygg
Mon, 08-13-2012 - 9:30am

I will also give you my grans  rye rolls, they are realy lovely, how ever the recipes gives  about 300 rolls and that might be slightly to much, so I will scale it down.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-13-2012 - 11:29am
LOL, Yes please scale it down!!!! That is a lot of rolls!!!! My husband would LOVE rye rolls!!!!!!! Im excited to try all of these recipes out. Thats my goal once school starts! Things are a bit easier with only one kid under your feet, haha!

Visit

Community Leader
Sun, 08-19-2012 - 4:16pm
Any bread yet?
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-20-2012 - 12:22pm

Not yet. Im hoping this week. School just started today so hopefully I can get around to it soon. It was a hectic week last week!

Visit

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-27-2012 - 8:53pm
Fail on the rye. Im not sure why. It was dense and had bad flavor. I will try again though. I hate dense bread! Grr.

Visit

Community Leader
Tue, 08-28-2012 - 7:22pm

OH NO!  You may need less rye and more bread flour.  When I use sturdier grains, I also add vital wheat gluten (baking aisle).  When I'm grinding my whole wheat, I throw in a few Vitamin C capsules, but you can also crush them with a mortar and pestle or smash them with a heavy pan.  They serve as a dough conditioner.  If you have a source, some lecithin is a great dough conditioner, use a couple of teaspoons.  

Photobucket

Pages