Save my aioli!

iVillage Member
Save my aioli!
Mon, 08-27-2012 - 9:07pm

First time I have tried making aioli..used a recipe from about.com that does it in a blender.  I used two eggs, two minced garlic cloves, grey poupon dijon mustard, a little lemon juice and olive oil slowly added into the blender as it was running. The olive oil is: Colavita extra virgin- certified authentic (if that makes any difference..no idea).  It is a little thin that what I think of as aioli, and I get a metallic taste. Husband thinks too much olive oil (maybe since I doubled recipe and used a cup total) so we added more mustard and another egg..a little thicker but I still taste metallic...

What gives??   Now I find recipes online that say DO put mayo into the recipe..I did not do this, but wondering if that would help, may try. Aioli is in the fridge chilling out..maybe it will mellow?

does it really matter if the eggs are room temp and how do you tell if they are?

-Sarah

Community Leader
Tue, 08-28-2012 - 7:54pm

WOW!  This one is a toughie for me, with egg allergy and disliking mayo, but I make a very successful hollandaise so I'm going to give it a shot:  try a whisk.  The blender may be too fast and making it a little hot in there, cooking the eggs too far.  You may wind up with a Popeye arm doing it by hand, but it could solve the problem.  

What is your blender cup made of?  Your recipe sounds right, just Dijon, egg yolks, and olive oil.  Perhaps your eggs were a little off?  I don't cook anything with cold eggs.  They need to sit on the counter for a half hour, minimum.  

On the farm 100 years ago, our ancestors gathered the eggs and they sat in a bowl on the counter until needed.  Whose idea was it to refrigerate them?  It really is not necessary if they are fresh.  And from the market, they probably are not.  

Photobucket