Setting up a new kitchen

iVillage Member
Setting up a new kitchen
Tue, 03-12-2013 - 2:25pm

I am moving soon and wish to set up a new kitchen. We eat mostly home-made items and I am having to start over due to space limitations. What are your favorite pieces of equipment? If you cook or bake from scratch, what equipment can you not live without?

I did absolutely refuse to give up my Le Creuset Dutch Oven, and my Kitchenaid, but I am having to rebuild most other things. I want to do it right!

Community Leader
Fri, 03-15-2013 - 8:00pm

My essentials:  A good chef's knife, sharpener, cutting boards, cast iron skillets, colanders.  I can live without countertop appliances but I don't really like to.  I found that a toaster oven is more useful than a standard toaster; and I don't use a coffee maker.  When I make coffee, I use my campfire percolator.  My kitchen is quite compact, and I have a lot of commercial kitchen equipment from the days when I owned restaurants, so I have outfitted my extra closets into kitchen storerooms.  I acutally have to go to the guest room to get the waffle iron, but things I don't use much are not stored in the kitchen.  

I used to keep my favorite oversized skillet hanging on the wall.  I think kitchen stuff is great art.  But I don't like stuff on the counters, I like my workspace uncluttered.  

I am planning a kitchen remodel and want the vent hood/microwave combo to get rid of the microwave (which is on a bookcase).  

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-13-2013 - 2:37pm

That's a good question.   I use the microwave a lot, but I don't cook persay in it.   We reheat with it or quickly defrost foods.   But I like having one around.

My food processor and smaller hand held chopper get a lot of use.   Both of those are stored off the counters in my house.   The processor is on a stand in the corner of the kitchen.   The small chopper is with the mixing bowls.

I also use the toaster quite a bit as well as the coffeemaker.   Of all those I think I'd give up the coffeemaker last.

photo BeachChairsRed.jpg

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-13-2013 - 11:57am

Just make a list of what you need.

In my case if I had the money,  two ovens, an inductions hob,  two fridge/ freezers (better for your back since  you dont have to bend down too often) and a washing machine.   Good countertops,  eletrical outlets that can take water, nice splash back and proper pots and pans.