Simple cake with icing recipe

iVillage Member
Simple cake with icing recipe
Mon, 07-07-2014 - 12:13pm

I am so pissed at my sister-in-law right now. She shows up at every family function with home-made cakes and cookies and thinks she is all that because she can bake from scratch. Most of the rest of us women work and it feels like she is implying we aren't real mothers and wives because we don't bake. We are having a family get together next weekend and I want to make a cake from scratch too just to show her that just because some of us women have careers and work doesn't squat about our domestic abilities. Does anyone have a simple recipe they'd like to share?

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-07-2014 - 12:50pm

I never define myself as "mothers and wives", just me, as my own person!  Smile  I have been working my entire life and baking from scratch just as long.

Here are over 32,000 recipes.  I am sure you can find something that fits the bill!  (BTW, try to bake with love instead of the urge to get even.  Trust me, the cake comes out better that way).

http://foodgawker.com/?s=cake&cats_inc%5B0%5D=Desserts+%26+Sweets

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-07-2014 - 9:45pm

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/simple-white-cake/

This one looks easy. I know it shouldn't matter what anyone thinks of your choices, but I understand it does. I worry way to much about what people think of my choices. Good luck on the cake and let us know how it goes :)

Malea

Looking to work from home ? Ask me how :

www.askmalea.com

Community Leader
Tue, 07-08-2014 - 10:34am

Aside from some super intricate cake, how would anyone know if it's from scratch unless you're touting that (which I think is rude)? A super easy thing that I do is make a cake (box cake) and then for the icing you can do a buttercream which can be simple, but even easier? Take two cans of frosting, add some confectioners sugar and mix to combine. It makes it stiffer so you can pipe it if you want. Don't go overboard with the sugar but add until it's stiff enough to your liking. :)

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-08-2014 - 11:20pm

"Aside from some super intricate cake, how would anyone know if it's from scratch unless you're touting that (which I think is rude)? "

Unfortnately I can taste a cake made from cake mix.  There is just a certain chemical-y undertone/aftertaste ...  Same with canned frosting.  Frown

However, even though I always bake from scratch, I do not see anything wrong with bringing a cake mix cake or store bought cake to a gathering.  It is silly for any woman to get all stressed out and base her self-worth on domestic prowess.  Not everyone needs to be a Cordon Bleu pastry chef.  After all, a gathering should be about the people, not the food.

Community Leader
Wed, 07-09-2014 - 3:48pm

demontespan wrote:

"Aside from some super intricate cake, how would anyone know if it's from scratch unless you're touting that (which I think is rude)? "

Unfortnately I can taste a cake made from cake mix. There is just a certain chemical-y undertone/aftertaste ... Same with canned frosting. Frown

That wasn't my point though. Would you be rude to state "Oh that's not a from scratch cake!" to everyone once you tasted it? If you brought a cake to a party, I would assume you made it, unless it was some cake-shop worthy thing then I would be all "Wow, did you make that?" You're still making it, taking time out of your day to do so. I've made from scratch cakes that taste like crud. Bad recipes happen, so not all from scratch foods end up tasting better. Anyway, my point was that everyone would assume the cake was homemade so announcing that you made it from scratch is rude unless someone specifically asks you "Did you make this cake?" Then you can politely say, "Yes, I used a special recipe I found..." etc. 

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-09-2014 - 6:37pm

I am just saying that I can tell a cake mix cake from a "from scratch" cake a mile away.  The fact that people don't make any comments out of politeness doesn't mean they cannot tell the difference.  That's all.

Community Leader
Sat, 07-12-2014 - 2:00pm

This is probably the best cake recipe I have ever made, I call it the indestructible chocolate cake.  One of our members here made it for her wedding cake; I used it for all of the cakes that I had to shape for catering (everything from a 3-D Garfield to an entire choo choo train).  It stays moist for days and is incredibly fudgey.  

1 3/4 cup unsifted all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cups cocoa powder (Hershey)
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup boiling water

Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.  Add the remaining ingredients except the water; beat on medium 2 minutes.  Stir in the boiling water (this is a very thin batter), pour into greased and floured pans, bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes until it passes the SPRING test (touch lightly in the center and it should spring back up).

For frosting, this is my fav:  1 stick of softened butter, 1 lb confectioners sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla, 5-6 tbsp strong coffee, 1/2 cup cocoa.  Beat until it is frosting.  Don't overbeat.   

Photobucket
Community Leader
Mon, 07-14-2014 - 10:20am
I agree cooking or baking with love always works for me... I love baking from scratch... taste so much better ... real food...
<