Smashed potatoes

Community Leader
Smashed potatoes
Sat, 03-02-2013 - 12:12pm

Pioneer Woman made smashed potatoes on her show today.  I love these, but her recipe was entirely different from mine.  She boiled small red potatoes then smashed them, on a baking sheet, drizzled with oilve oil, added salt and pepper, and crisped in a 475 oven for about 15 minutes.  

When I do them, I nuke them.  Then I smash them in a hot skillet with olive oil, and flip once to crisp on both sides.  I love them!  A sprinkle of shredded cheddar, a dollop of sour cream, and some chives don't hurt a thing!  Crisping in a little bacon fat is nice too.  

Have you ever smashed and crisped taters?  

Photobucket
Community Leader
Sat, 03-02-2013 - 3:59pm

Those are smashed potatoes?  They sound yummy. just call them fried mashed potatoes.  LOL.  My dad made potato pancakes that I wish to heck he had written down the recipe because I sure miss them and no one knows how to make them.  I ate them sprinkled with sugar or with applesauce or rhubarb sauce.  Hmmm, now you have gotten me hungry.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-04-2013 - 1:15pm
I have never tried them that way. I made fried potatoes, just peel and thinly slice raw russets and fry until crispy in a lot of bacon grease and/or butter. I also take left over baked potatoes and peel, chop ad fry in bacon grease and/or butter until crispy for breakfast hash browns. I'm going to try that some day, my girls love potatoes. Karen, do you use red potatoes?

~Misty~

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-04-2013 - 4:57pm

I have been making the Pioneer's Smashed Potatoes for years.   My kids love them.   They call them 'crunchy potatoes.'   I takes mine longer than 15 minutes to crunch up though.   We like them really crunchy.   I need to try your version, Karen. 

Community Leader
Mon, 03-04-2013 - 7:05pm
Yes I have but I just smash them and add butter to them for the family but for me I just spray them and pepper and salt them.. I love baked potato this is a close second, the skin is what I like with potatoes...
<
Community Leader
Tue, 03-05-2013 - 11:15am

Yes, Misty, red potoatoes or Yukon golds.  This is a great recipe for a very waxy potato.  

Linda, here is how we make potato pancakes:

To leftover mashed potatoes, add a splash of cold milk, a beaten egg, and a cup of flour.  Knead into a soft but dough, add more flour if needed.  Form into patties, dredge in flour, and fry in hot oil in a heavy skillet to brown on both sides.  I add diced onion and shredded cheddar to my dough.  When done correctly, the outside is crispy and the inside is light and slightly fluffy.  Mom ate them with ketchup.  

Photobucket